Fuel light

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rkbn

Fuel light

Post by rkbn »

Hi, everyone me again, due to the recent spate of attempts to steal the bike i am looking for other ways to deter the "soon to be dead man if i ever find out who it is" i am going to purchase a disc lock alarm on payday, one of these xena xx14 jobby's cheapest i have found is £63 but they seem to be well thought out and the best around, i also have a 12mm chain and a container padlock through an anchor cemented in to the wall through the back wheel, but what i want to know is, is it possible to swap the fuel light around? so it is constantly on when full and goes off when near empty? my logic behind this is if they manage to get power on and they see that the fuel light is on then it is more work for them and money out of their own pocket as they do not know just how empty the tank is, call me stupid but it was just something that i thought of today as my fuel light came on.

Also why don't the manufacturers of ignition barrels design them so if somebody tries to use a slide hammer on it (as they did with mine) they come out in one piece completely rendering the bike useless (as it also did with mine which is what saved me from losing my bike) instead of coming apart and leaving the all important switch at the bottom of your ignition so all they have to do is stick a screw driver in the hole turn it and they are away with your bike (in under 10 seconds, i know i have seen the local scumbags do it) To me it just seems that nobody seems to think about these things or they do and are just not that bothered and it just means you have to spend an extortionate amount of money on security for your pride and joy that in the end does nothing to change your insurance unless it is an alarm, immobiliser, or data tag! and chains, ground anchors, disc locks or anything else does not affect your premium!! W*****S!!!

Rant over

Thanks guys
darkember

Re: Fuel light

Post by darkember »

Purchase some of those rape alarms with the pull pins & rig them so as they move the bike all hell will break loose.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Since all you need to do is inverse the signal, it's technically easy to do, really... But, I really and honestly doubt that by the time they got the bike running, they will bother about a lit fuel warning light... At that point, they will be looking to move away from the place your bike is parked as fast as possible, as not to get caught...

I'd say they'd be more deterred by a blinking light on the dash as they look the bike over first, as that's usually a sign of an alarm... A hidden kill switch somewhere, like under the saddle, killing the signal to the ECU is an effective way to make them leave the bike, as it means they can't get the bike running fast once they are past the point of no return... If it's under the saddle, and you use it for night parking only, it's entirely invisible on a quick inspection, requires them to break open the lock for the saddle, and not massively inconvenient for normal use...

A more creative way that I have seen being used, was a devious little mechanism that put two semi-blunt needles (i think knitting needles in fact) through holes in the bottom plate of the saddle, flip a small lever before taking a seat and all is fine... Don't know to do it, and you get one hell of a butt ache before you even start rolling... Didn't penetrate the saddle cover, and stopped the local kids that wanted to have a dry run on bikes, usually ending up tipping them over...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Geez, what a horrible place to live if your bike is so vulnerable.

I recently read an article on bike thieves.... half of it was written by a Cop, the other half by a bike thief.
Made for some very interesting reading!
The theif gave some great tips to prevent your bike from being targeted.

You are on the right track with the ground anchor. The thief recommended chain or cable larger than 16mm in diameter.
And using a padlock that concealed the bolt, so it couldn't be cut.

They also know their bikes and each bikes weakness, so a customs hidden kill switch wouldn't hurt.
Contrary to popular believe, most all professional bike thieves don't use vans.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I recently read an article on bike thieves.... half of it was written by a Cop, the other half by a bike thief.
That's on the forum somewhere and was a very good read. The thread must have had a sh1t pointless title as I have been searching for it with no luck. :(

As for the fuel light I don't think thieves will be bothered about fuel when they are lifting the bike into the back of a van. And even if they where going to ride away on it, it don't matter. Just give the bike a shake and listen to how much fuel swooshes around in the tank. Who needs an instrument panel to ride a bike.

Best prevention is to park the bike somewhere else. Maybe somewhere more busy with lots of public around.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside