chain fitting

General Biker Banter
john cresser

chain fitting

Post by john cresser »

Is it easy to fit a new chain and where and what type should I buy? john c.
leevtr

Re: chain fitting

Post by leevtr »

Personally my first port of call would be an original one from Honda. Theres so many to choose from that the mind boggles. DID are a good way to go otherwise, but even they seem to make loads of different options, from 90 odd quid for a full c&s set, to 170. One thing I wouldnt do is go down the alloy sprocket route, I dont think they last as well, stick with the steel ones.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If you are keeping the bike I'd go for extra heavy duty, high carbon steel sprockets and then look after it with plenty of oil/grease and a monthly clean.
It should last a good few years then :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I recently fitted the following kit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400557002792? ... 1439.l2649

As for fitting if you can get a garage or something to rivet the link on before fitting then the rest is simple. Otherwise you will be doing that yourself. I used a hammer and punch.

To fit...Tie back clutch lever so no bleeding is required, remove sprocket cover, Loosen front sprocket bolt while the chain is on and back wheel on the ground (maybe get a friend to stand on back brake), Remove back wheel, undo swingarm spindle nut a bit so you can loosen the left rearset at the allen key bolt and spacer, fit new front sprocket, slide chain over the non braced swingarm and around the front sprocket, The rest is self explanatory so I wont go on.....

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Or make life difficult for yourself and weld a brace to your swingarm! :lol:

I went for a Renthal kit, no visible wear or adjustment after a good couple months riding :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-19505 using Telekinesis
Jamie :wave:
john cresser

Post by john cresser »

cybercarl wrote:I recently fitted the following kit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400557002792? ... 1439.l2649

As for fitting if you can get a garage or something to rivet the link on before fitting then the rest is simple. Otherwise you will be doing that yourself. I used a hammer and punch.

To fit...Tie back clutch lever so no bleeding is required, remove sprocket cover, Loosen front sprocket bolt while the chain is on and back wheel on the ground (maybe get a friend to stand on back brake), Remove back wheel, undo swingarm spindle nut a bit so you can loosen the left rearset at the allen key bolt and spacer, fit new front sprocket, slide chain over the non braced swingarm and around the front sprocket, The rest is self explanatory so I wont go on.....

i cant even put photos up yet what chance of me fitting my own chain LOL.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I went for a Renthal kit, no visible wear or adjustment after a good couple months
The teeth on the Ally sprockets will wear a lot faster than Steel with the torque on these motors, I personally would stick with Steel. There is a compromise if you use for example a Supersprox sprocket which is ally for weight saving with an outer Steel ring/teeth for durability but for the price of a Supersprox you could afford two ally ones in that space of time. For me this is not ideal as it would mean changing sprockets roughly halfway between chain life which will add wear and tear as the chain and sprockets wear in together at an evenish rate.
i cant even put photos up yet
I'm working on that. Watch this space. :wink:

rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

And once the new chain is on fit a Scottoiler so you double the mileage you get.
simo

Post by simo »

Do any of you think it's worth the extra £'s for an original Honda front sprocket?
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not really - just glue on a bit of old inner tube if you really want the rubber noise dampener like the OEM sprocket.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I went for renthal sprockets, which were more expensive, specifically because they are meant to last LONGER, they are a hardened ally. 8 months and 6k miles later on the fazer they look like brand new, as does the did x ring heavy duty chain.

200 miles a week in ALL weathers and a relube every 2 weeks. Haven't had to adjust it once yet.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm only going by the general consensus across the web but there has to be a difference between a Fazer and a torquey V Twin :think: While on the subject of chain and sprockets, you might as well check your Cush drive rubbers at the same time.

mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Yes there is a difference between them but the fazer is 97 bhp versus the storms 107 and it get s its butt raped every day as I leave the severn bridge tolls. It doesn't get an easy life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mattycoops43 wrote:Yes there is a difference between them but the fazer is 97 bhp versus the storms 107 and it get s its butt raped every day as I leave the severn bridge tolls. It doesn't get an easy life.
There's something about tolls that vaguely resembles a starting grid; you can't help yourself........Dartford Crossing does it for me, twelve lanes into four at the top of the hill....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

lol, yes, Severn is about 14 lanes into 3, it's awesome fun. not good for the back tyre though!