The Firestorm Diaries

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Wonky Donkey

The Firestorm Diaries

Post by Wonky Donkey »

As I mentioned in my "Hi I'm new" thread, I've not long picked up this '98 'Storm (originally a parallel import). It needs a few bits doing to it, and there's a few things I want to do to it. I thought it'd be interesting (for me, anyway :wink: ) to keep a log of all the little jobs and changes I make. Might keep track of what I spend too (as long as the missus isn't looking :lol: :lol: )..

So here's the starting point (without wheelie bins!):

In comparison to other threads in this board, I can assure you this will include some of the most tedious, and infrequent, updates you can imagine. I'll post some pics to prove just how dull they really are :lol: I can't/don't have space to do much to it at the minute until I finish my other project, but you have to start somewhere

First up, a few ss fasteners (I'll probably end up replacing most of the bolts on here eventually).

Also fitted new air filter whilst I had the tank bolts off. Old one was OK, but I want most of the servicable items freshened up as it'd been stood in the po's shed for a couple of years.

Spend on mods to date = £22.14

Next up (not necessarily in this order):
1) MOSFET-type reg/rec on it's way from Uncle Sam, and
2) manual ccts from Rob de Hoo.
The reg/rec I'll do myself, if I feel brave one day, but I'll be putting the bike into my tame mechanic's for a full service and check, so he can do the ccts whilst it's in (Hi-flo oil filter already sitting waiting for that).
3) when winter comes, calipers need an overhaul, and probably replace the braided hoses (ones fitted are not looking too happy).
4) clean front down pipe - can't be doing with that brown look..
5) paint is flaking off the wheels, so powder or paint needed (but what colour...???)
6) tank has a decent dent in the side. Might seek out a larger one at some point - either way it'll call the colour scheme into question..
7) grips are a bit crispy... :thumbdown:
8.) paint or swap (if possible) the speedo needle to match the tacho needle (no, really - it annoys me).
9) consider re-packing the cans (depends on MOT guy :lol: )

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
VTRDark

Re: The Firestorm Diaries

Post by VTRDark »

Bloody hell that bike looks juts like mine when I first got it. I even had the Microns and while on the subject of Microns they look to me like the road legal ones.

Make sure you mechanic knows about the timing on these bikes. As time is money you could even print off the PDF In my MCCT Guide. :lol: Cleaning the downpipes is a pain in the back end as you do all the hard work only for it to start discolouring again within a month. So you have to keep on top of it with a quick once over every now and again.

I look forward to see the progress and pics. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nice black one is that and I like these progression threads :)
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

I even had the Microns and while on the subject of Microns they look to me like the road legal ones.
They are indeed - well, they're BS stamped at least. Sound F loud to me though... Cheers for your help on the reg/rec thing by the way, Carl.

I can live with the downpipes needing a re-clean from time to time. Don't mind cleaning and such. In fact, a polish (of metal-type bits) may well find it's way onto my "to do" list.

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

That looks so much better than my '99 black one (only bought last week) that I could cry. All new SS fasteners for me too, after I unseize the rear suspension, sort the bodywork, remove the alarm etc etc :sick:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

Mav617 wrote:That looks so much better than my '99 black one (only bought last week) that I could cry. All new SS fasteners for me too, after I unseize the rear suspension, sort the bodywork, remove the alarm etc etc :sick:
I feel for you mav (in a non-arrestable kinda way...). Post yours up too - we can compare progress and notes! :wave:

To be honest, it's been sat in some fella's shed for about three years (evidenced by last tax disc) and has about 15,000 miles on it (ODO is in kilometres) so by rights it should be in decent nick. All seems well - or major stuff at least, but obviously only time will tell. I'm taking as few chances as possible. Especially as the V5C says "Engine number: Not Known" - odd.

I've taken the bellypan off tonight to give access to the front cylinder/downpipes/oil filter and the like and it's pretty coated in crud and there's some corrosion. The oil filter is held on with some sort of special compound - erm, rust I think they call it :lol: Should be alright. Front caliper bolts aren't great so I'll have those replaced over winter (when I do the calipers) and the banjos on the ss lines are nasty so defo a new set of those (the missus will be asking me what I want fro Crimbo soon, so that sorts that! :clap: ).

cct's arrived today, via Exhausist (cheers Rob!), so time to get her booked into the garage. Meantime, I can ponder wheel colours...

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Take a peek under the rubber hood on the starter motor if you dare - as if the bolt corrodes then you have another job to do....

Best keep it Vaselined up :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

Not the first time I've had that advice, Wicky. let me think, where was it I heard that again.... :lol:

Yes, I suppose I'd best take a look - what's the cure if it's gazeboed?

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Wonky Donkey wrote:
Not the first time I've had that advice, Wicky. let me think, where was it I heard that again.... :lol:

Yes, I suppose I'd best take a look - what's the cure if it's gazeboed?

MICK..
If the securing nut has corroded itself in place and won't undo:
Take the motor apart, replace the bolt with a large-headed one that you have filed some flats onto- this will make sense once you've pulled it apart-and make sure that you have replaced the insulating washers in the correct order.
The bolt is not meant to be able to connect electrically to the body of the starter motor, so meter it out before connecting it.

Or buy a replacement or refurbed starter motor.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Storm in a teacup

Post by Storm in a teacup »

Hi Wonky
I am following your progress with interest.
I pick up my 2000 storm tomorrow and will want to upgrade and refurb it as much as possible.
How much we're the manual CCTs and the Reg/Rec upgrades? As I guess these are the most important things to do first.
Good luck with the progress of yours and I look forward to seeing some ideas and tips as you go.
Cheers
Virt

Post by Virt »

Storm in a teacup wrote: How much we're the manual CCTs and the Reg/Rec upgrades? As I guess these are the most important things to do first.
Reg/Rec is a relatively cheap upgrade to do, you can buy a cbr125 r/r on eBay as they are quite common.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-cbr-125 ... 53fe3a42fb

I'd also recommend doing it yourself, my friend had the reg/rec on his cb500s go earlier this week. The shop that's fixing it tried to charge him £80 because "that's how much they cost". From what I hear it's not a difficult job either :thumbup:

CCT's vary depending on where you get them from, although a much cheaper alternative is the stopper mod (if money is an issue). There is a guide on this in the workshop

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Storm in a teacup

Post by Storm in a teacup »

Thanks for the info Virt.

Is the CB125 r/r a straight swap or does wiring need stripping/ soldering etc?

The manual CCTs sounds an expensive mod as I am not competent to DIY despite the excellent guide available on the forum.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Storm in a teacup wrote:Thanks for the info Virt.

The manual CCTs sounds an expensive mod as I am not competent to DIY despite the excellent guide available on the forum.

mine was and a nincompoop can do it (I did). :thumbup: , the r/r that is..

and the ccts is not really a mod its a necessity :eek2
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

This is the kind of CBR R/R that will be plug'n'play fit over the unfinned version (Virt's linked one is the wrong kind)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR125- ... 2330e281ae
Storm in a teacup wrote:Thanks for the info Virt.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cheaper to fit MCCTs than an expensive topend rebuild :wink: You're lucky to live in Kent, contact TonyM who's nr. Brands and will sort you out if you ask nicely :thumbup:
Storm in a teacup wrote: