Nasty Oil Leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mattbridges

Nasty Oil Leak

Post by mattbridges »

Went out to get on the storm this morning only to find it standing in the garage in a deep puddle of oil. Obviously took the car instead :-(

All of the oil seems to have come from around the oil filter area at the front of the engine, but couldn't tell from the brief look I took at it as it's got a pyramid bellypan.

I did pop out on it yesterday evening and everything seemed fine except about 1 minute from home I noticed a very quiet and intermittent ticking on deceleration at about 1500 rpm. No oil warning light or anything like that.

Can anyone think of anything else it might be? I'm sat here at work worrying about it :-(
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Have no idea, but reckon you might've saved yourself a bucket-load by only being a short distance from home! Count your lucky stars!
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Going to take the lower fairing off tonight and see if I can see where it's leaking - hope it's just the oil filter seal of something similar, it's almost due for a service...... fingers mc-crossed
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Looks like it was the oil filter seal - I emptied the rest of the oil - looks like I lost over 2 litres! 8O

Refilled with Rock Oil and took her out for a run today - much better!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mattbridges wrote:Looks like it was the oil filter seal - I emptied the rest of the oil - looks like I lost over 2 litres! 8O

Refilled with Rock Oil and took her out for a run today - much better!
Was the oil filter loose :?:

Chris.
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

No not at all, but the rubber seal had a split in it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mattbridges wrote:No not at all, but the rubber seal had a split in it.
Thats a bit of a worry :!: Any ideas why it had split :?:

Chris.
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Sadly no idea at all - the filter that was on there wasn't a honda part - it was a champion (I think). Swapped it for the honda one.

The rubber on the old one didn't appear anywhere near as thick as the stuff on the honda one, but it's hard to say as it's obviously compressed quite a bit being on the bike for about 3 months.

At first I thought it the filter might have been hit by a stone, but it doesn't look like it was damaged - I filled it full of water and left it over night, but it was just as full next morning.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mattbridges wrote:Sadly no idea at all - the filter that was on there wasn't a honda part - it was a champion (I think). Swapped it for the honda one.

The rubber on the old one didn't appear anywhere near as thick as the stuff on the honda one, but it's hard to say as it's obviously compressed quite a bit being on the bike for about 3 months.

At first I thought it the filter might have been hit by a stone, but it doesn't look like it was damaged - I filled it full of water and left it over night, but it was just as full next morning.
Perhaps it was to do with the rubber seal being not as good quality as the genuine Honda product :!:

Chris.