Datatool Alarm Removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mav617

Datatool Alarm Removal

Post by Mav617 »

Hi guys,

Picked up my Firestorm today. Bit of a dog but that's what winters are for....

Anyhoo, it has a Datatool Meta 2 alarm fitted. The bugger drains the battery and seems like a waste of space. Anyone removed one, is it easy to do?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Steve97

Re: Datatool Alarm Removal

Post by Steve97 »

You might not get a response to this mate
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Cheers Steve, can understand why. Thinking I'll take it to a decent set of auto-electricians with all the paperwork. May be expensive, but just want it gone.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Buy another loom and change the complete loom over. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

cybercarl wrote:Buy another loom and change the complete loom over. :thumbup:

Sounds like a plan, are they (looms) easy to get hold of though? Also thanks to CheekyKev - sorry can't reply mate due to not having reached the 50 post limit for PMs :beer:
Nickcv

Post by Nickcv »

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There's always looms knocking around on eBay. Make sure you get the right one for your bike as there are differences between the early 16l tank Storm and the Later model with the bigger 19l tank and digital dash.

Oh and replacing the wiring loom will require all fairing being removed, tank, airbox and carbs removed. And the undertray being dropped a bit.

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I removed the Meta from my Storm a few years ago - very easy really. On my TDM I couldn't work out where the alarm went to etc and a mobile alarm guy popped round and it was so simple (everything is when you know what you are doing) that he only charged me £20. Replacing the loom is a bit like buying a new engine instead of doing an oil and filter change IMHO.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Replacing the loom is a bit like buying a new engine instead of doing an oil and filter change IMHO.
LOL I see your point, but for obvious reasons I'm not going to go into exact details of how to remove an alarm on a public forum and what wires are likely to connect to where. But if an alarm is fitted correctly then you will have feeds running as deep into the main loom and as far away from the main alarm unit itself as possible. Maybe running to the front of the bike which requires stripping the loom right back. For example why take a feed from the ECU which is relatively easy to get to when it can be taken from somewhere else. The object is to make it as difficult as possible to trace and disable or bypass certain features.

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Yes, I agree with what you say but neither of mine were that difficult tbh and with the one on the Storm I merely followed each wire from the alarm back into the loom and where a wire had been cut to add the alram wire, I simply resoldered and shrinkwrapped the loom back to original. Nothing (on mine) went to the front of the bike except for the transmitter unit. The immobiliser had malfunctioned and the bike wouldn't start - luckily it was in my garage at the time and not on the continent, which is why I removed the one from the TDM as I didn't fancy the same thing happening in The Pyrenees or wherever!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!