ignition key

General Biker Banter
john cresser

ignition key

Post by john cresser »

the other day while visiting mum in hospital I lost my key now have a replacement, any suggestions as where i can store a spare on the bike? :roll:
simo

Re: ignition key

Post by simo »

Behind the number plate is a good place as there's a recess in the mudguard. Duct tape it there. Use plastic nuts and bolts for the number plate as you can usually undo them by hand.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Can you not make your key more secure on yourself instead, perhaps using a lanyard/leash :?:

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 possibly keep an emergency spare tucked discreetly in your jacket or kept at home.
sirch345 wrote:Can you not make your key more secure on yourself instead, perhaps using a lanyard/leash :?:

Chris.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't like the idea of keeping a spare key on the bike and the first place thieves check is under seats or wheel arches for those silly little magnetic box's or whatever designed for keeping a key or spare change in. You would have to do better than that to stop making it so easy for them to steal your bike.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

In the sole of you boot .. Just like a 10 year old kid :-)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:I don't like the idea of keeping a spare key on the bike and the first place thieves check is under seats or wheel arches for those silly little magnetic box's or whatever designed for keeping a key or spare change in. You would have to do better than that to stop making it so easy for them to steal your bike.

(:-})
Carl seems to know a lot about thieving...Hmmm beeb,beeb,beeb,beeb,ect ''Hello is that crimestoppers...?''

All I know is don't loose the one key you have if you own a BMW car...85 fecking quid to get a spare cut as it's coded ! I was quoted, he did apologise & then said It's 35 if it's not coded ! For one bloody key !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Spares stay at home. One key for the bike has just one ring which then clips to main house keys & then into main zipped pocket, jacket or bag.

Which is fine until you loose your jacket or get mugged for the bag then you cant get in to your house to get the spare key anyway... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

A mate used to carry a cut down key in his wallet, it was just the blade without the plastic.
This was in the dark ages before clever keys!
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

A1 place m8tey ... Inside the lining of your helmet secretively done ..
eazi , safe and you'll know where it is ... do not secrete on your
motorcycle .... :D
:thumbup:
john cresser

Post by john cresser »

thankyou all for your ideas i guess i will be carrying a spare with me in the future and not hiding on the bike. cheers JC. :clap: :clap:
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

be careful if you do leave the key on the bike as your insurance company will not pay out if they find out. all it takes is the one who takes your bike. strips it finds the key then gets nicked tells the cops he found the key on the bike and your insurance company will not pay or if they have paid they might ask for the money back :cry:
Regards ian
Virt

Post by Virt »

MacV2 wrote:
All I know is don't loose the one key you have if you own a BMW car...85 fecking quid to get a spare cut as it's coded ! I was quoted, he did apologise & then said It's 35 if it's not coded ! For one bloody key !
Don't sell Drooper for a later model then, H.I.S.S has the same problem.. Although I think it's a tad under £85 :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

john cresser wrote:the other day while visiting mum in hospital I lost my key now have a replacement, any suggestions as where i can store a spare on the bike? :roll:
Gaffer tape it under the lining in your crash helmet.

In fact, I might just do it myself !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

I had a £20 note in my lid for years as I ran out of petrol once and had left my wallet at home, so key on side dosh the other.
What else could we stash? Mmmm..