2nd gear

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Fireman on a Storm

Re: 2nd gear

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Make sure you adjust the chain properly. Don't fully shut the throttle between hear changes and the easiest one to do 8O lower the gear lever about 10 to 15mm (depends on your boots and comfort) this means that you are more positive on the up change.

PS they all go clonk sir!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

do all you "Storm" experts on here use the clutch going up through the gears or not? i follow your every word so please be honest!! :biggrin
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
darkember

Post by darkember »

I use it yes. Note the Storm box is not a crash box.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep always use the Clutch as it's not a slipper, otherwise it will just add wear and tear in places you don't want it. :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

enough said, i will use it from tomorrow!! thank you guys.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

yes - I confess I do clutchless changes (63,000 miles and counting....)
bigtwinthing wrote:do all you "Storm" experts on here use the clutch going up through the gears or not? i follow your every word so please be honest!! :biggrin
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Wicky wrote:yes - I confess I do clutchless changes (63,000 miles and counting....)
bigtwinthing wrote:do all you "Storm" experts on here use the clutch going up through the gears or not? i follow your every word so please be honest!! :biggrin
I have to say I also use cluchless up shifts when riding "briskly" and with 95K she is still going strong
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mmm Doesn't it run the risk of bending the selector forks, and why make slipper clutches if not needed. I guess if your get the engine speed right then yes it can slip in but how many times is it going to go crunch, then eventually it will start jumping out of gear. Unless off course the gearbox is a tough old beast and can handle some abuse. I have the feeling this is going to turn into a 50/50, some do, some don't. So yet again it comes down to personal preference. :lol:

==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I guess if your get the engine speed right then yes it can slip in
"Use the force, Luke" ;-) by feel and ear and just a light pressure on the gear lever, as the revs match it'll slip right in - oo'er missus! If it crunched in I wouldn''t do it.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

cybercarl wrote:Mmm Doesn't it run the risk of bending the selector forks, and why make slipper clutches if not needed. I guess if your get the engine speed right then yes it can slip in but how many times is it going to go crunch, then eventually it will start jumping out of gear. Unless off course the gearbox is a tough old beast and can handle some abuse. I have the feeling this is going to turn into a 50/50, some do, some don't. So yet again it comes down to personal preference. :lol:

It is really quite smooth and easy if done correctly.
We are only talking about up shifting here as the clutch is used while down shifting.

That is also why the whole slipper clutch thing is kind of a moot point here. They are for down shifting as an aid to keeping the rear wheel from locking up due to engine braking.

So back to up shifting. All the racers do it but instead of manually bliping the throttle to shift they have the system that kills the ignition for a set number of milliseconds.
Both ways unload the gears and which allows it to smoothly slip into the next higher gear.

At low RPMs it will not work and the clutch should be used but IMHO when you are wringing her neck...lol which means you are above 6K or so before you shift (and more normally in the 8-9K range)
It is smoother and easier to use a clutchless up-shift than it is to try and fan the clutch fast enough not to put the engine hard into the rev limiter IMHO.

So with the proper technique and the correct situations it is a good tool to have in your bag of tricks and it does not hurt the gearbox in anyway.

Remember this transmission does not have syncro gears but instead uses dogs which means this type of shifting, if done correctly will not cause damage.
Of course YMMV but I have been doing it for years. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I to clutch less up shift and never had a problem . It's very smooth going from 2nd and up
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I take it easy from 1st to 2nd (very clunky like most hondas), but from then on I tend to do either clutchless changes or I use only a little clutch. with practise its easy to be smooth... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Wicky wrote:
I guess if your get the engine speed right then yes it can slip in
"Use the force, Luke" ;-) by feel and ear and just a light pressure on the gear lever, as the revs match it'll slip right in - oo'er missus! If it crunched in I wouldn''t do it.
+1

Modern bike gearboxes are fine for clutch less shifting, also you only want a slipper clutch if you're downshifting without the clutch :)
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

same as others............I clutchless upshift 3rd, 4th,5th, 6th....but usually only when I am wringing its neck. only works well if you backoff the throttle slightly just at the time you push up on the lever then it changes seamlessly.
AMcQ
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Slipper clutches are all about downshifting and that is regardless of clutch usage. With regards to clutchless gear shifts I would never do them, even with a quickshifter.