Help CCTs

General Bike chat
ian.mcburney

Help CCTs

Post by ian.mcburney »

Over the weekend I changed the front CCT according to the Haynes manual. Unfortunately when I went to fire up the engine, the starter motor turned over for a split second and stopped dead. The engine will not turn over on the starter. I have a bad feeling that the camshafts have moved out of sync with the crank. Can anybody let me know what to do to re set the camshafts. Do I have to take radiators and carbs off to this this.

Any help will be appreciated.

:(
Ian
Max

Post by Max »

Look in the haynes manual for how to reinstall the cams and that would probably be a good starting point assuming that nothing is damaged. you will need to remove the carbs and cam covers to do the job. I think you may get away with only removing one rad, its a while since I changed my ccts. there are links on this site to the honda sevice manuals somewhere and i think that in the past Del has put a post about it as well. If you think you've done damage pm Delmeekc as he has forgotten more than the rest of us know about CCT's and things.

Max
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

oh yeah, in this case I would leave it in neutral, pull out both cct's like now and then strip it down and set the valve timing up from scratch, a fair bit of work. Where are you? this could be a nightmare. If your close to M25/A2 jct I could pop over and do it for you. I could do it by removing the tank, airbox and just droping the cooler out of the way (just thought, the fairing will have to come off and the left rad as you can't remove the front cams without removing the top chain guide which is only accessible from the left side of the bike - right one can stay on). To do it like this the underneath of the frame above the front cylinder will have to be totally cleaned before hand so no sh1t falls in on the valve train. Hopefully you aint wombles it up. You probablelined up the timing mark ok but not on the compression stroke so both valve would have been slightly opened and jumped teeth as soon as you retracted the cct.

Both valve covers will need taking off and the cams will need removing and reinstalling.

Del.
ian.mcburney

Post by ian.mcburney »

Del;

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I live in Cornwall so a little too far for you.

Could I use a mirror to check the camshaft timing marks. This would mean I wouldn't have to take the left radiator off.
I think the top cam chain guide can be taken off from the front - looking at the Haynes manual pics 2 bolts on the top & one on the side.
I could then lift the camchain off the spocket and rotate the camshaft by hand to the correct position.
Do you think this is possible?

many thanks;
Ian
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

no mate, you would probably loose the left side bolt down in the engine. You will have to remove the cam to move it on the chain unless you can recreate the pressure of the valves.