oil filter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scoobie_sore_paws

oil filter

Post by scoobie_sore_paws »

hey all

gonna do an oil n filter change and was wondering if it is worth getting a k&N over a hiflo or genuine one.

k&n about £11 posted hiflo about £8 genuine £13 but not checked local dealer yet

your thoughts are welcome

Mark
Wicky

Re: oil filter

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My choice would be a genuine or pattern standard filter. You got to ask yourself what is the purpose of an Oil filter and what do they do to them to make them higher flowing. The Hi Flo filter I don't think is a higher flowing filter, it's just a pattern part, same as the Hi Flo air filters. A bit misleading calling them Hi Flo. The K&N is genuinely higher flowing. If you have a race bike and you thrash the nuts off it then maybe it warrants putting a K&N on it. Just be aware that it wont trap as many particles otherwise it would no longer be a higher flowing filter.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scoobie_sore_paws

Post by scoobie_sore_paws »

cybercarl wrote:My choice would be a genuine or pattern standard filter. You got to ask yourself what is the purpose of an Oil filter and what do they do to them to make them higher flowing. The Hi Flo filter I don't think is a higher flowing filter, it's just a pattern part, same as the Hi Flo air filters. A bit misleading calling them Hi Flo. The K&N is genuinely higher flowing. If you have a race bike and you thrash the nuts off it then maybe it warrants putting a K&N on it. Just be aware that it wont trap as many particles otherwise it would no longer be a higher flowing filter.

good point. think i will try perth honda and get a genuine one :)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

He's talking about oil filters not air.
or possibly the other way round - depends what precisely the "n' means :wink: oil and oil filter change or oil and air filter change... but from the prices I assumed the original poster meant 'oil filter'

Ps my links are to oil filters not air filters.
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Hey Wicky, spotted you again! :D

Found an awesome road back from Sudbury towards West Bergholt :D

Sorry, nothing to do with oil or filters...
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: Yeh that was Darkember before me. By the time I finished thinking and writing he must have realised and deleted the post. And you had posted.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 70#p291200

On my way to the hospital
One time I came back on that route back to Colchester on a 250 superdream with a friend on a Z400F at dusk, police spotted us coming by slightly briskly at North Station and set up road block at St Botolphs where they eventually caught us and accused me of averaging 100 mph!

Jamoi wrote:Hey Wicky, spotted you again! :D

Sorry, nothing to do with oil or filters...

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:confused What's going on with you posts. I'm sure I've seen that somewhere before in another thread. Or are you pointing at Macs K&N.

Last edited by VTRDark on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkember

Post by darkember »

cybercarl wrote:
:lol: Yeh that was Darkember before me. By the time I finished thinking and writing he must have realised and deleted the post. And you had posted.

Hehe yes I did finally realize was wondering if anybody had had time to read it before it got removed 8)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nothing gets missed on here. :lol:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You'll have a job to hide anything around here darkember as you've probably guessed :lol:

I would (as others have said) recommend using a genuine Honda oil filter,

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Talking about OIL filters now 8) I have used Hiflo & had no trouble with them. At present I have a Japanese filter fitted that came with a decent oil deal from Hein Gericke. My view is as long as the oil light goes out pronto at the initial start up after the change all should be fine. I do help it on its way by loading the filter with oil before fitting it onto the bike and do several kill switch starts to allow the oil to reach the upper gantries before letting it startup fully.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hi Flo as in oil passing through faster or Hi Flo as in just the name. :plainsmile

HiFlo Oil Filters are a direct replacement for your standard / OEM oil filter. TUV Product Approved and Production Monitored
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiFlo-Oil-Fil ... 43bb8d2eab

Meaning they are the same as standard and not higher Flowing. Direct replacement. :thumbup:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Oem here too