Donnington Park - 20th August

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Re: Donnington Park - 20th August

Post by Miztaziggy »

What a track. Seen a load of crashes on the chalk, thankfully not me or my bro yet.

Doing about 2 min 8 sec laps after first 2 sessions which isnt that bad. Got talking to a guy here in our novice group doing 1.40s.....lol thats fast group pace.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds like fun, and the weathers good :thumbup: .................hows the forks feeling?
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

Miztaziggy wrote:Got talking to a guy here in our novice group doing 1.40s.....lol thats fast group pace.

Medium group would be in the high 1m40's, fast group down to low 1m40's if he's that fast in a novice group they would notice and move him up. I first read your post as 1m40secs which I think would be fastest of fast group and club/national race pace.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yeah he is doing about 1.45s on a zx6 2001 road bike.

Eventful morning, my bro ended up in gravel, thankfully stayed upright, and I caught another 2 big crashes on camera. One was a bit of a pile up.

Good morning though

almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

Nice to have met up and had a good chat about Trackdays. Thanks for the advice!

That lad with you was being looked at by one of the Nolimits instructors in the last session I watched, so would surprise me if he gets told to move up a group. :lol:

Hope it all finished as well as it had gone so far. Looked like you and your brother were having a great time :p
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

almightytomo wrote:Nice to have met up and had a good chat about Trackdays. Thanks for the advice!

That lad with you was being looked at by one of the Nolimits instructors in the last session I watched, so would surprise me if he gets told to move up a group. :lol:

Hope it all finished as well as it had gone so far. Looked like you and your brother were having a great time :p
Yes mate, second to last session an instructor picked him up and moved him to inters, said he was too fast for our group. Sarah timed him on his warm up lap in the inters at 1.51, then he went and binned it on the right hander after home straight. He was saying his back tyre was sliding all day, but this time it went right out, threw him over handle bars, he managed to hold on, and then fell off fairly gracefully, his bike stayed upright and laid itself down on the grass. No real damage other than his indicator.
almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

And then rode it back to Bristol!
Top man :lol:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

This is the video from the guy I was with. This was his first session out in the inters. Looks like he was dominating that group too, on a 2000 zx6, number plate and road tyres....till he came off. Anyway you can see it starts as a high side but he sort of controls it, and brings it back without flipping but it throws him off anyway. Seems like a pretty talented rider to say that was only his 4th track day ever..... :eek2

This was from the last session of the day. The three lap times in this video were 1.54, then 1.48 then 1.50. As the day had gone on he had said his tyres were losing grip on full lean and were slowing him down.

[youtube][/youtube]
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

These are the videos of the crashes that I saw and got on film. The best one I saw in 2nd session wasn't on camera as it locked out just as I was about to go on track :(

Anyway, as they happened a little bit in front of me, these are much easier to see in full screen on 1080 rather than in the little boxes below:
The blue and white gsxr goes past my brother and me and then bins on the left hairpin. A guy fixates on him and goes right over the bike. You can't see on camera, but he was stood in the middle of that hairpin shitting his pants for a good 10 seconds not knowing which way to run.
[youtube][/youtube]

We were red flagged after that crash above, then restarted here, 1st lap out, the guy on the yellow track bike bins it quite badly after forgetting his tyres have cooled down or something. Made a mess of his bike.
[youtube][/youtube]

And last session before lunch, my brother locked up his back wheel, you can hear the chattering from the chain. Not sure how he has never done this before, but he apparently hasn't. He thought that something was wrong with his brakes so let off them. It was all enough to send him straight on, and into the gravel. Luckily for him he kept it upright, just. I was only just behind him when this happened and I think I sh1t myself more than he did.
[youtube][/youtube]

I followed my brother for a bit in the next session, but his confidence was knocked and he was going slower than normal. After I overtake him, these are probably 2 of the faster (still not very fast) laps that I did. Anyone that knows the track will see that I am braking WAY too early, but it's really hard to overcome your mind's survival instinct, plus I am not on a track bike and really didn't want to bin it :)
[youtube][/youtube]
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

enjoyed them mate :thumbup: would love to have done that. I always think my fear factor wold be the biggest hurdle if I got on track, and a nice dollop of no talent :lol:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

BigVeeGrin wrote:enjoyed them mate :thumbup: would love to have done that. I always think my fear factor wold be the biggest hurdle if I got on track, and a nice dollop of no talent :lol:
Yep, I know what you mean, but as I have said before, once you do this, you realise you have nothing to be scared of. You only go as fast as you want.

There was 1 bloke on there that could have gone round faster on a push bike.....seriously. Also there were 2 women that were really slow and just took it at their own pace.

You only have to go round as fast as you feel comfortable. It's not as if you get on track and all of a sudden the way you ride on the road goes out of the window and you have to be a nutter. If you feel confident on the road then after a couple of laps you will feel even more confident on the track - no trees, cars, lamp posts, barriers....
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Photos have been put up online today. I really like a couple of them, he gets some really good shots. I think ill buy 4 or 5 of these:

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Awesome pictures, this has made me want to do a track day myself :)

You've obviously got the hang of it...

You can do it with your eyes closed!!!
Jamie :wave:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Jamie in Colchester wrote:Awesome pictures, this has made me want to do a track day myself :)
Go for it, but beware, it's more addictive than anything. I am already twitching to book another.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

2nd pic down with knee down....cracking pic. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside