cam tensioners ?

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
popkat

Re: cam tensioners ?

Post by popkat »

There are ratchet type tensioners, but these are mostly used on Yamaha's so no excuse really he should know that.
Not alot of shops or Mechanics are going to know the details of the stopper mod, Manual tensioners have been around for years and are always an option.
These type Cam chain tensioners can be a problem on a lot of Honda's, they're not expensive to replace and on the four cylinder bikes don't usually cause much trouble when they go wrong (plenty of warning), So from a shop point of view they're not going to know the ins and outs and mods assossiated with a particular model. Also it would be costly for a shop to do the stopper mod first time as it would take a while to do and is more complex than an IL4, they probably wouldn't warranty the work either.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
ging500

Post by ging500 »

As everyone has stated manual and automatics will not click as the have not rat het style me mechanism. Some ccts do have like my sv has. On a slightly different note about the clicking, has the bike recently had it valve clearances done. I know once smaller shims are inserted, the head can get a bit rattley.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

stee wrote:mmmm strange....he said the chain is normally laying on the same tooth and and he could move it to a new tooth manually ? hope he knows what he is doing then lol
Welcome & don't let him anywhere near it !

Let us know what area you live, there is bound to be someone local to you who can give you first EAR advice over the ticking & guide you through fitting manuals.

One of our fine members Bazza696 converts the standard ones to manuals & sells them exchange at a reasonable price.

Mac

Ahh just seen your other post, as you live in Norway local Stormers may be thin on the ground...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
stee

Post by stee »

Thanks alot guys for the advice :) i am based in Norway :/ i would like to have a go myself so i can learn a few things about the bike but i am a bit bothered if i screw it up lol what would i need and what parts ? could be something just for me to check it ? and bring my pc to the garage to have you guys with me heheheh ;)
stee

Post by stee »

hi again guys thanks fro the replys :) what tools and parts will i need to give it a go myself ?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

stee wrote:hi again guys thanks fro the replys :) what tools and parts will i need to give it a go myself ?
Have a good read through here...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583

Only special tool you need is the key to lock off the CCT...IIRC it can be done with a small screwdriver though.

Other than that a decent toolkit should cover it.

Most important thing to do first is to make sure that the inspection bung on the alternator cover comes off, they are very very soft & chew up realy easie.

Have a good read through the other posts on here in the workshop section, knowledge is power.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The lock off key is only required if doing a stop mod or to just to remove the tensioners and replace with the same Honda autos. As for tools nothing required that a basic toolkit does not have. But as Mac pointed out the first thing to check is the timing hole and crank caps on the generator cover. You can't really check the Honda Autos that are in there at moment without removing them and stripping them down. But if you going this far you may as well just take them out and replace with manuals. No need for a lock off key if replacing with manuals. If you follow the guide then you should have no problems, the fear is just entering the unknown.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it would be easier to fly carl out to norway on one of those budget airlines, he would moan like a bitch tho, because he wouldn't be able to use his own tools..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
i hope you get it sorted buddy...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
stee

Post by stee »

hahahahah would be great carl fancy a holiday ? ;) ...your right the unknown dont go down well with me lol
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Put it on a trailer and take a road trip... I'm not that far away... ;)
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
stee

Post by stee »

ahhh tweety were you at ?
stee

Post by stee »

very nice mods on your bike :) by the way
stee

Post by stee »

yes tweety i see you are the ferthest south in sweeden ....would be a nice trip if i was riding there heheheh ;) i am close to Stavanger
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Southern end of Sweden... :lol: So not right on your doorstep unfortunately...

Oh... I'm not done with the bike... Not yet... I just acquired a 19 L tank from a newer bike, and I have a new rear brake caliper that needs fitting, and new mirrors, I have just finished the new bases... The list goes on... :wink:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

stee wrote:yes tweety i see you are the ferthest south in sweeden ....would be a nice trip if i was riding there heheheh ;) i am close to Stavanger
Nice roads in your part... I already had my bike Holiday in Norway about a month and a half ago, otherwise I'd drop in on the way... :wink: