Rim tape removal

General Bike chat
lanny

Rim tape removal

Post by lanny »

Well, after 40 years of tinkering with bikes including engines out etc. I must admit to almost being defeated and to make matters worse the problem is something as simple as rim tape. I have tried heat, thinners, wd40 and paraffin but nothing will lift the bugger, it is coming off in mm chips which is painful. I am on the verge of taking the kin wheels off and having them shot and painted unless someone has any tips. HELP !!!!
AMCQ46

Re: Rim tape removal

Post by AMCQ46 »

wow that is some rim tape!

I would stick with the heat route, just add more heat till it goes soft
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's always the silly things that cause the most grief. I would use a sharp flat razor type cutting blade. The type Coke addicts use :roll: or as they are more commonly used and made for cutting tape or for scrapers. Otherwise a Stanley blade would do. Once you have got it started then get the blade underneath at the right angle so you don't dig into the wheel and work your way around pushing the blade and prising the tape off. Use a bit of lube to help things along if needs be. You then need some label remover to get rid of the glue residue on the rim.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Try going over it lightly with 120 grit wet and dry to cut the surface then dab petrol on it .
I've had to do this before the petrol dissolves the gum on the tape making it easier to remove
lanny

Post by lanny »

I have used the scalpel blade which brings it off in 1mm bits, the roughing up of it is difficult as the tapes are in small pieces as in the picture but I will give it a go, if all else fails it looks like a wheel paint job, the question then is, di I keep them black or consider another colour? Gold may be?
chric

Post by chric »

Its a wombles i used tardis and hair dryer just on a little bit
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Teach72

Post by Teach72 »

And there's me wanting to put them on!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Teach72 wrote:And there's me wanting to put them on!
If you do .... Take your time and make sure it's the right colour !
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Nuke the the rim tape from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure
lanny wrote:Well, after 40 years of tinkering with bikes including engines out etc. I must admit to almost being defeated and to make matters worse the problem is something as simple as rim tape. I have tried heat, thinners, wd40 and paraffin but nothing will lift the bugger, it is coming off in mm chips which is painful. I am on the verge of taking the kin wheels off and having them shot and painted unless someone has any tips. HELP !!!!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Teach72

Post by Teach72 »

lloydie wrote:
Teach72 wrote:And there's me wanting to put them on!
If you do .... Take your time and make sure it's the right colour !

Not sure what would look best..... If it had black wheels it would be easy (yellow to match the bike) but as they are silver......
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

This is when mine was black and had yellow decals and rim tape
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

For sure heat, or more heat. Then maybe googone but sounds like it maybe hard & crusty. Brake cleaner would get it off but the paint too.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Sadly my job actually involves taking off stickers from expensive test and measurement equipment with some costing in excess of £40,000 each. If its breaking up like that and solvent or heat is not working then I will suggest the following which sounds extreme but done right gives you the easiest option.

I actually use a wood chisel that has been slightly modified which gives both force but control. I suggest a 1/4 or 1/2inch chisel, you need to use either a grind stone or fine wet and dry on a very flat surface to alter the tip. Without pictures its hard to explain but you need to firstly round off the sharp right angle corners of the cutting edge to prevent dig in, then next on the back flat edge of the blade you need to then put a shallow 45degree angle on the cutting tip. You will effectively be using the chisel with the flat side down and that small 45 degree angle allows the cutting edge to be close to the surface you are scraping but it will in fact ride in the glue bed of the sticker.

You need to practice with a sticker placed onto a flat surface so that you can learn the correct angle that does what you need. If you are right handed then hold the tip with the thumb of your left hand with your fingers on the surface to stop it from slipping. With your right hand on the handle it gives you lots of control and power. Go slow at first and it should easily break away but don't rush or you may end up slipping and damaging the paintwork.

The wheel will best be removed from the bike and held firmly to prevent you from slipping and damaging the paint.

Wrapped Stanley knife blades are only good for flat surfaces and easily scratch if you have not dulled the blade with wet and dry first.

A chisel modified in this way is also excellent for removing engine gaskets too.

All these words that could have been easily explained with pictures! :lol:
lanny

Post by lanny »

Got the bugger ! After applying all the tips etc you guys offered up and getting nowhere fast, I wheeled out the secret weapon - THE WIFE !
An hour with Wine, Nail varnish remover, heat and a few broken finger nails later she was done. Expensive I know it will be, but cheaper than the wheels needing painting. I love her at times like this :angel:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

They do have their uses :-)