Sad sad news

General Biker Banter
aces-high

Re: Sad sad news

Post by aces-high »

Same thoughts as everybody, Just gutted. Some of the most funny, side splitting and technically informative posts I've read on here are Bennys. Massive loss.
RIP Martin.
:Group Hug:
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Gutted to hear this, even though I never met him.

R.I.P Martin

Definately up for a memorial ride.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Just totally shocked, like many others I only knew him from his posts. Even that was enough to admire him.

We are all poorer for his passing, thoughts with his family.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ok, it's sunk in now, and I wanted to share a few memories, as that's all we'll have from now on- to a point, anyway.

One of the funniest memories I have is when he came to the Bulldog Bash, I threw out a run what you brung challenge, and Martin loved a challenge....
ANyway, i got there first, and got my tent up, and he showed up after work.
i was already a beer or two into the day....
So he shows up, full of swagger and piss, and unpacks his bike.
He gets his tent out, then looks....and looks......and looks- he's left his poles at home, behind the settee.

I've never seen a grown man have as big a temper tantrum in my life. it probably didn't help that I was laughing and crying.....
Anyways, after a bit I took him to the big camping bus, and he bought a cheap tent for the weekend, but he didn't get over it all weekend.

On the drag strip, his legs were too short for a proper burnout, which pissed him off even more.
The first year, I won every race.
The second year (when he remembered his poles) he took one off me, and was rock-a-hoop.

After that, I shared with him my secret, which was that the green "go" light came on .4 of a second after the last yellow light, which meant that I launched on the yellow, as my reaction times were about.5 of a second.
Apparently that was cheating.
He vowed to come back and get me, but it didn't happen.

I can say this about my friend Martin, though:
He didn't half take some catching on a bike.

It seems a shame that he won't be there next time, cracking smart comments, being a pain, but being there for anyone, any time.
We never agreed about the best way ti tune one of the Storm engines; he had his ideas, I have mine, different riding styles, and that's what we agreed in the end- he liked revs, I like torque. Both methods get you to the next corner quicker than most, so it was alright by me.

i'd just paid him for those trick HRC cams, and if they end up heading my way I'll think of him when I get it running.

I'll be up for the funeral, won't be on a bike, which is a shame, but hey, I'll be there to say goodbye anyway, depending on dates.anyway.

Gotta go now, as I'm cooking dinner, blaming the tears on the onions, but I'll ride with you mate.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good memories tony :thumbup:
AMcQ
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Thanks for sharing that with us tony :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Touching post Tony. Definitely hits a raw nerve. :thumbup: Keep the memories flowing. This thread ought to be extracted and added to the book of condolences.
Dr B1G

Post by Dr B1G »

After losing my best friend in 2006 while on a ride out, I know the hurt his friends and family will be feeling.
I have not been here long and don't know him, but I send my sincere condolences to his family and friends.
RIP fallen friend
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

This thread ought to be extracted and added to the book of condolences.
That's a nice idea. This thread just goes to show the hearts he reached out to.

A true hero.

For those that don't know this is Martin in his new leathers.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 22&t=16598

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Jesus, I'd forgotten that Moped run.....

He stripped and rebuilt two or three other bikes before he looked at his own, then couldn't get it running.
If he'd spent the time on his own he'd have probably got it sorted, but he helped others first.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Such sad news.
RIP Benny. My heart goes out to all close friends and family at this sad news..
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

tony.mon wrote:Ok, it's sunk in now, and I wanted to share a few memories, as that's all we'll have from now on- to a point, anyway.

One of the funniest memories I have is when he came to the Bulldog Bash, I threw out a run what you brung challenge, and Martin loved a challenge....
ANyway, i got there first, and got my tent up, and he showed up after work.
i was already a beer or two into the day....
So he shows up, full of swagger and piss, and unpacks his bike.
He gets his tent out, then looks....and looks......and looks- he's left his poles at home, behind the settee.

I've never seen a grown man have as big a temper tantrum in my life. it probably didn't help that I was laughing and crying.....
Anyways, after a bit I took him to the big camping bus, and he bought a cheap tent for the weekend, but he didn't get over it all weekend.

On the drag strip, his legs were too short for a proper burnout, which pissed him off even more.
The first year, I won every race.
The second year (when he remembered his poles) he took one off me, and was rock-a-hoop.

After that, I shared with him my secret, which was that the green "go" light came on .4 of a second after the last yellow light, which meant that I launched on the yellow, as my reaction times were about.5 of a second.
Apparently that was cheating.
He vowed to come back and get me, but it didn't happen.

I can say this about my friend Martin, though:
He didn't half take some catching on a bike.

It seems a shame that he won't be there next time, cracking smart comments, being a pain, but being there for anyone, any time.
We never agreed about the best way ti tune one of the Storm engines; he had his ideas, I have mine, different riding styles, and that's what we agreed in the end- he liked revs, I like torque. Both methods get you to the next corner quicker than most, so it was alright by me.

i'd just paid him for those trick HRC cams, and if they end up heading my way I'll think of him when I get it running.

I'll be up for the funeral, won't be on a bike, which is a shame, but hey, I'll be there to say goodbye anyway, depending on dates.anyway.

Gotta go now, as I'm cooking dinner, blaming the tears on the onions,I did the same thing in my cornflakes.. but I'll ride with you mate.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Back when I was a regular on here he and I exchanged a bit of banter. Always something to say; witty or otherwise. I really didn't know him but know the devastation that a passing like this leaves. My thoughts are with his family and to his pillion too. I hope she does make a full recovery both physically and probably more importantly, mentally.
I live in Hampshire and this has been a black two weeks for bikes. We have had a few 'offs' in the area with some injured but six deaths. May you all ride the highways of heaven.
RIP Benny.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
warby221

Post by warby221 »

its always bad when you hear about a fellow biker going down
even worse when there's a death
but saddest of all when you know them
I didn't always see eye to eye with benny but he will be mist
RIP feller
kick the tyres light the firers and leave some donuts on high m8
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
silver storm

Post by silver storm »

Never knew him but seemed a nice genuine guy in his posts RIP Martin.
Stevie