Tyre traction in this hot weather

General Bike chat
benny hedges

Re: Tyre traction in this hot weather

Post by benny hedges »

ahahah nice one seb :D

i completely mullered the blade rear on sunday round wales, up round trawsfynnyd, ffestiniog, llanwrst etc... looks like ive done a hard track day lol, the sides were completely pickled and blue and the centre almost down to the wool.
picked a few sets up last night so im goner pop one on in a bit, if i cba moving!

in some places on sunday the tarmac was actually bubbling, melted to fook!
again, those bare bits will be very slippy in the wet.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.

Post by Image »

Checked my tyre pressure and it was only 3 psi lower than it should be so don't think it's that. I think it's the tyres melting or the road surface being soft or both. I think the melting tyres is the most likely culprit as I've noticed most bikes in front of me leaving rubber marks on the road on cornering.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ah well, at least you now know the tyre pressure was not that far out, so that's good,

Chris.
Keith

Post by Keith »

It just dawned on me that we have been forgetting the obvious too. What about our own coolant?? In this heat I am sure the bikes are running hotter and wonder if coolant came out of the overflow directly in line to go over the rear tyre? I know this happened on me when I first had the bike and it scared the crap out of me. Its just a thought :)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Any 'extra' coolant goes into the catch tank reservoir - if any is exiting the bike's coolant system it'll be a leak somewhere.

Who, what, why: When does tarmac melt?

I'd bank on it being oil and dust effecting tyre adhesion.
Keith wrote:It just dawned on me that we have been forgetting the obvious too. What about our own coolant?? In this heat I am sure the bikes are running hotter and wonder if coolant came out of the overflow directly in line to go over the rear tyre? I know this happened on me when I first had the bike and it scared the crap out of me. Its just a thought :)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Except for the very early ones IIRC, there is a coolant drain hose that normally tucks in behind the small standard bellypan/oil filter protector on the lefthand side of the bike. That comes from the water pump housing. Whether or not enough would be coming from there to effect the rear tyre adhesion from a water pump failure is another thing, but I agree worth thinking about and checking out.

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

That only comes into action if there there's a seal/gasket failure in the waterpump/clutch area. But as you say worth taking a minute to inspect.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote:That only comes into action if there there's a seal/gasket failure in the waterpump/clutch area.
Most definitely I agree, even then I'm not sure there would be enough fluid to affect the rear tyre adhesion, only a possibility.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What about our own coolant??
The clue is in the word coolant :wink: It's not just anti-freeze but also a Summer coolant. If it was to boil then there are other issues going on.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Keith

Post by Keith »

sirch345 wrote:Except for the very early ones IIRC, there is a coolant drain hose that normally tucks in behind the small standard bellypan/oil filter protector on the lefthand side of the bike. That comes from the water pump housing. Whether or not enough would be coming from there to effect the rear tyre adhesion from a water pump failure is another thing, but I agree worth thinking about and checking out.

Chris.
Well I have gone all through the cooling system and found no faults but discovered that I was filling up the reservoir too much when it was cold. This in turn caused the coolant to expand to a degree it came out of the overflow which correctly said for my bike comes out in the small belly pan area. I now check the expansion bottle level when the bike is hot and have had no trouble ever since. The bike never overheats and I dont get water in the oil or dripping from the waterpump area.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Just a note on pressure. Extreme low pressure will eventually cause carcass deflection and some heat, but on the racetrack I consistently run 32F 28R and go way faster than any street ride.

Have also done 3hr endurance races at those pressures so unless you are way lower than that, too low is not the prob.

Lower pressure actually gives a larger footprint. Think of a hard tire acting more like a bowling ball. Tiny contact patch.

The recommended pressure from Honda is for the bike at its full capacity. Rider, pillion, gear, etc. If you want more traction, you need to lower it. It will feel different at first, but you have twice the rubber on the road.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just heard on the news that many roads are melting in the heat and they are sending the gritters out. :eek2 So watch out for loose grit now as well folks.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:Just heard on the news that many roads are melting in the heat and they are sending the gritters out. :eek2 So watch out for loose grit now as well folks.

It's a good thing I have no bike capable of being ridden currently then.. No, scratch that. it's definitely sh1t :lol: Grit in the summer though??
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Keith wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Except for the very early ones IIRC, there is a coolant drain hose that normally tucks in behind the small standard bellypan/oil filter protector on the lefthand side of the bike. That comes from the water pump housing. Whether or not enough would be coming from there to effect the rear tyre adhesion from a water pump failure is another thing, but I agree worth thinking about and checking out.

Chris.
Well I have gone all through the cooling system and found no faults but discovered that I was filling up the reservoir too much when it was cold. This in turn caused the coolant to expand to a degree it came out of the overflow which correctly said for my bike comes out in the small belly pan area. I now check the expansion bottle level when the bike is hot and have had no trouble ever since. The bike never overheats and I dont get water in the oil or dripping from the waterpump area.
Interesting that. You should however be safe to rule that possibility out now, as you most likely guessed. So that's good news,

Chris.

Post by Image »

Sometimes in winter I ride with slightly low pressure to give extra grip on frozen tarmac but I notice the reduction in acceleration even though it's only a few psi.