Fuel Consumption RIDDLE?

General Biker Banter
leelee

Re: Fuel Consumption RIDDLE?

Post by leelee »

after a few town blasts and a trip to work with a b*lls out blast home 90-140mph average for 18 mile,(took 18mins) did total of 62mile and when refuelled put £12 to get back to full. so that's about 27-28mpg but it was worth it so bring on the fuel stops and let the fun continue. :clap:
ride it till the tires fall off then keep going !!!!!!!
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

agentpineapple wrote:
Virt wrote:Tad confused. F3 has a fuel gauge not a red light? :eh:
when you get to the last bar on the digital gauge, doesn't it turn red and then start flashing on and off?
isn't there something about being unable to get the last bit of fuel from the tank, because of the shape of the tank?
with the a 19ltr fuel tanked storm, i reckon tourings ok, you could always put a sneaky container of fuel in a painer/back box for extra range, i reckon after 150miles you'd want to stop to stretch your legs anyways.... :thumbup:
No, the bar doesn't turn red... But it does start blinking once the last bar theoretically should go out, indicating "reserve"...

On both the 19L and the 16L tank you can get all but the last half liter or so out by normal running, the last you need to slosh around a little, but fully doable... So basically, for usage purpose, you could count them as 15,5L and 18,5L tanks...

Another point, which Carl touched on... The newer style gauges with bars are actually progressive, due to the fact that it's a progressive linkage on the sensor, that translates to a resistance signal... The last bar (before blinking) does actually last exactly twice as long as the first bar, in theory at least, since there have been a few bikes with the sensor arm bent in various ways...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
Watty

Post by Watty »

35mpg average for me with various riding styles/conditions but tbh I don't care if it was 20 mpg because it gives so much grin factor!!!!!!!! It's not like there's a petrol shortage :thumbup: :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

I managed 52mpg shortshifting and avoiding any 120+ blasts. :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Back on fuel consumption again are we... Well today bizzarly enough my RLOD came on at 92miles 8O 8O Very strange because with the hot weather there has been a couple of times where it has run a little richer as I could smell it out the cans. I filled up at the weekend had a good high speed blast down a major A road, hence plod catching me on the laser :( and today had an across town run in heavy London traffic with a lot of stop starts. It makes no sense to me :confused I have not altered anything apart from putting a bit of air in my tyres at the weekend and they where only a few of PSI down. IIRC 2psi on the rear and 4 on the front. I run at 36Fr and 42 R. Oh and the only other change is that I filled up at a Texaco rather than the usual Esso.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

leelee wrote:after a few town blasts and a trip to work with a b*lls out blast home 90-140mph average for 18 mile,(took 18mins) did total of 62mile and when refuelled put £12 to get back to full. so that's about 27-28mpg but it was worth it so bring on the fuel stops and let the fun continue. :clap:
if you did 18 miles in 18 minutes you averaged 60mph. :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
leelee

Post by leelee »

It does work out at 60mph but only if none stop take into account 8 sets of lights and 7 islands and u need to increase ur speed average to compensate.
ride it till the tires fall off then keep going !!!!!!!
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Just completed a 1600 mile trip through Europe. Various speeds, including a wee spell on the autoban. Around 10 miles to the litre.

Anyone worried about touring shouldn't. Yer butt will need attention before you need fuel.

Cheers...
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....