Tyre warmers

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Tyre warmers

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

I am looking at a set of tyre warmers and a 3 KVA generator to power 4 tyre warmers (2 sets).

Will all tyre warmers work ok on road and/or race tyres? eg do they all require the same temp?

Also, the tyre warmers require a 3 pin plug, but by the looks of it the generators available have a 16 amp reyroll socket. Is there some sort of converter available?
VTRDark

Re: Tyre warmers

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: I was thinking of posting in your other thread that it wont be long before your looking at getting some tyre warmers.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

The cheap non-adjustable type is pretty pointless really, as like you figured, different tires should be at different temps if you even bother with a set of warmers in the first place... Also, they tend to last fairly short time... Go for expensive-ish adjustable, or don't bother is my advice...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

my mate had trouble with his tyre warmers at cadwell last sunday. it was the first time he was using them with a generator. as you know theres no electrickery at cadwell. just be aware and double check the tyres before your session. oh and remember to take them off, i posted a vid on here a while back of a guy who was riding out of the paddock with them still on the bike..... :eek2
tyre warmers will give you a few extra fast laps each session, depending on the length of the track. my mate has used them on both trackday tyres and slicks, he gives them the thumbs up.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Well I was thinking of getting them more because it reduces the number of heat cycles.

I read that a diabolo corsa is only recommended for 6 cycles. That's 1 track day basically if you don't use warmers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

If you are using them for trackdays, you can also factor in the cost of crashing on cold tires, which happens alot. I have raced 13 yrs and only ever used the single temp warmers. I have chicken hawks and tire sox. The sox are less expensive, but have outlasted like 8 pairs of chicken hawks and suzukas of my garagemates.

I have measured tire temps and both do the same job of getting the tires to around 170F.

Not saying dual temp arent good, just never used them.

You can get warmers on many racing forums since many riders buy them & decide they dont want to really be a track rider.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:If you are using them for trackdays, you can also factor in the cost of crashing on cold tires, which happens alot. I have raced 13 yrs and only ever used the single temp warmers. I have chicken hawks and tire sox. The sox are less expensive, but have outlasted like 8 pairs of chicken hawks and suzukas of my garagemates.

I have measured tire temps and both do the same job of getting the tires to around 170F.

Not saying dual temp arent good, just never used them.

You can get warmers on many racing forums since many riders buy them & decide they dont want to really be a track rider.
Well Tire Sox's aren't really what I referenced as "cheap"... Might only be one temp, but they are middle of the road for price and longeviety... Cheaper one's tend to burn the surrounding material, and then fail... But a very goog tip to go for used, there should be a lot of them around... I got mine used...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

Been using these for a couple of seasons now, they do exactly what they say on the tin....

http://www.holroydtyrewarmers.co.uk/index.html