Maybe no VTR then..

General Bike chat
seb421

Re: Maybe no VTR then..

Post by seb421 »

It matters

at 23 i was a wonker doing stupid speeds and stupid wheelies everywhere on the public highway, racing with other lads at 130+ on the M61 in rush hour etc etc

Now i'm knocking on the Door of 30 i'm a relatively slow roads rider now,

i wouldn't have insured me at 23 if i was an insurance broker i was wonker, the thing that made me put the brakes on was when i was taken to court and was sure to lose my license, for whatever reason unknown to me the courts dismissed the case and i walked out with no fine, no points and my license

that made me take stock of how easy it was to lose the most valuable thing to me, i'm constantly looking over my shoulder and for every eventuality that might happen now and thinking what if.... i'm not saying i don't speed when and where safe to do so but its like james may once said 'speed is like farting, you've just got to work out when its acceptable '

There has been a few times where i've thought to myself its quiet its late i'll slow down on this empty stretch of the A6 and ride out a massive wheelie up to the crest of it, just as i was about to dip the clutch 5 police cars came over the crest heading towards me 8O couldn't believe it this was like 2am as well and i was thinking wombles hell that was a close one!!!

i try to just more enjoy a nice ride now not thinking or acting like a wannabe Rossi but yeh at 23 i was an insurases nightmare with some of the stupid antics
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

When I was 23 I didn't have a care in the world so didn't bother with insurance. :lol: a few times. :roll: And I didn't need it either, I didn't have any accidents, well... not involving anyone else anyway. It a shame one can't get away with that as easily these days.
Unfortunately it's true that most youngsters are willing to take more risks and get up to tomfoolery with higher testosterone levels and showing off, I did. I think they may even have a higher death rate. It's just a shame that everyone is tarred with the same brush and insurance is not judged by a persons individual record/history to start with and everyone has to pay for others mishaps.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

At that age a friend sold me his z400J and we arranged he didn't transfer the reg doc over so I could ride it 3rd party on a cheap basic Norwich Union policy.

Funnily enough looking at its specs it was 43 horsies which was plenty enough at that age - as I was caught speeding at +100mph... probably heard me coming miles away due to the kerker pipe :shifty:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
ging500

Post by ging500 »

I think it's your licence classification. As an example I had a cbf125 and on L plates tht was costing me £370. Got my sv and my current insurance told me they wouldn't cover me.

Done some searching and my sv is just over £400.
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Maybe it's nothing to do with bhp and a young rider they've probably read on here about your lack of garage door and strangers lingering around
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Virt

Post by Virt »

Hairy biker wrote:Maybe it's nothing to do with bhp and a young rider they've probably read on here about your lack of garage door and strangers lingering around
Then they should also know about the lack of testicles and chipolata on the aforementioned stranger if I catch them again. :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Virt wrote:
Hairy biker wrote:Maybe it's nothing to do with bhp and a young rider they've probably read on here about your lack of garage door and strangers lingering around
Then they should also know about the lack of testicles and chipolata on the aforementioned stranger if I catch them again. :lol:
Tell them it might make it cheaper :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Hairy biker wrote: Tell them it might make it cheaper :lol:
As long as it doesn't raise the same amount his voice will, I'm cool with it :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

:lol: :lol:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I rekon the insurance companies must of had a few claims going in last year, my Harley cost me £240 fully comp this year, this does have a mod done to it which banged it up a bit.
Virt wrote:Starting to look like I can't ride the vtr for a long while yet. Insurance has gone from £800 to £4000...

Got it back down to £450 tpft before realising I'd put the wrong date of birth! :( Now they're asking 1.5k tp...

Guess I'm gonna be on the hornet for a while longer. Takes the actual piss. I really want to know their reasoning behind increasing the premium fivefold
Mate, without sounding condecending and rude, you should count yourself lucky, when I was 17 in 1993, a 100cc 2 stroke YB100 cost me £500 to insure TPO, at 23 owning and insurance a Hornet would have been a dream come true.

Ride the hornet for a couple more years, get your no claims up, these will make a difference later on, and enjoy that Hornet 600, brilliant little bikes.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

a mate knocked £1000 off his insurance by simply ticking the "have you had a quote" box and putting the last quote he had...he did it 4days on the trot and everytime it came back cheaper...i know of pple that do the same with their car insurance too...worth a try m8
Watty

Post by Watty »

Absolute bloody rip off mate,legal theft I'd call it! How are younger bikers supposed to get "big bike" experience to gain cheaper insurance if these tar everyone with the same brush idiots give out quotes like this. Muppets. :crazy:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Those prices are just insane...... I guess sometimes it is good to be an old guy..... :Jaw Drop:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

Virt wrote:Maybe they realised "hey wait a minute, that's a sporty bike".. To be honest, I don't see why it matters so much? I mean, I'm 18. Yeah if it did have that power I'd be more likely to crash it, but isn't it umm.. what's the word.. Restricted? Should be able to say that I'm cutting the power down on it so that the insurance reflects this. Then all that matters is bike's value, security, area etc. I don't understand why we can't declare the restriction as a modification on insurance because it is a performance modification, in every sense of the phrase. Just a slightly negative one...

And if the restrictor falls out then oh dear, I'd be essentially riding without insurance and if I crashed then they'd have no reason to cover my back. So I seriously don't understand. This makes sense to me, but I can't be the only one?
I think you should declare the restriction, it will help. Try e-bike, I use them and a friend also did and there was a place on the form to declare 33bhp restriction in place which brought his premium down to something reasonable (don't recall, but it was about £400.00)
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed