Just arrived to the club....

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
macdee

Re: Just arrived to the club....

Post by macdee »

good you got it sorted i had a similar post when i first joined :oops:
i would like to hear about the trip to Germany, me and some mates are planing for next year
Germany Switzerland top of Italy and oh yes stelvio pass
keep er lit :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Slasher :thumbup:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Slasher, bit of a traumatic end to your trip fella! Well done on sorting it.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hello and welcome to the forum........ :wave:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Welcome to the club!
98 'Storm
16 Kawasaki Z1000sx
95 CB500r
98 Vfr800
00 Zx6r

Destined4bikes17@gmail.com
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hello :wave: welcome to the forums :D
berko_lad

Post by berko_lad »

Slasher wrote:Oh dear chaps. Firstly many thanks for the kind words and welcome posts. However, before you kind people rack your grey matter to help me.....

I have thought about starter, wiring, fuses and so on. You know that little red button next to the throttle known as "kill switch" - yes I'm sure you know where this is going. I never touch it from one ride to the next. :wtf:

Second try, bless it, fired up and after a cough and splutter, sounds sweet as a nut. So perhaps I might be banished to the dunces corner. Sorry.....

LOL... been there done that my friend. If it makes you feel any better, I once filled my car up with diesel. Which is nothing special I know, except for the fact that it was a racing car and we were in the pits at a race meeting.

That's not even the worse bit. Because it took 24 hours of pushing it up and down and stripping the entire fuel system before we (there were three of us) realised.

Lesson learnt; diesel fitters become immune to the smell of diesel! :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club mate, I did laugh at your kill switch confession, but we have all had one of those moments so you should fit right in here :wave:
AMcQ
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Hello again. Just wanted to share a comment made by local Honda dealer today. As I mentioned when my regulator/rectifier went, I was coming back from trip to Germany. The guy at Honda said "were you pushing on speed wise?"

The answer was yes because you can open the taps on their m/ways and although doing upto 140mph, I was still getting passed by Audi's, Merc's and BMW's. the Honda guy mentioned that because the alternator is so good, the r/r's tend to go when being riden at high speed as the fault on the r/r cannot cope!!!

He then asked did my r/r that blew have cooling fins, which it didn't but my new one does. He also mentioned it was also common on VFR's, Blackbirds, CBR's aswell as VTR's. I know you guys have mentioned the newer type r/r with fins, but interesting thought from this chap at Honda chap who seemed to be in the know. Only went in there for replacement bulbs.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

the Honda guy mentioned that because the alternator is so good, the r/r's tend to go when being riden at high speed as the fault on the r/r cannot cope!!!
Well yes maybe.

Basically the Alternater can give out as much as it can and it's the job of the Regulator to regulate the output to the battery once it has been converted by the Rectifier side of things from an AC current to a DC current. The problem lays with the heat that is created in getting rid of any excess current (shunting) that is not needed. So yes Higher outputs would cause that. But it's not because the alternator is generating so much current, it's that both the Regulator and Rectifier share the same circuit internally. The R/R is badly designed and not having the fins does not help to alleviate the problem and adds to it. A MOSFET R/R is a much better option as the Regulator and Rectifier side of things are divided into two separate circuits.

Here's a great article that will explain things better than I can.
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... how-25117/

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi and hello welcome m8tey ... you live in Kent , the Garden on England and where all our tasty
hops are grown used in the fermentation process of brewing fine English real ale ..
.phew .!!!!. go out now.... award yourself a pint of beer for 1 . having a firestorm and 2 .
joining the gang ... well its a plan stick to it. Think what your going to do after the 1st
pint ... repeat this process ... end up happy ...further repetitions allowed.... :thumbup:
Alb :beer: :thumbup:
jeff998

Post by jeff998 »

welcome along from another over 50+
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

So many new people.........guess it's a good way to build a post count :lol:

Welcome to the fun :Beer Popcorn:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Welcome aboard, my R/R also died at speed so maybe something in it. I took it as a hint to get the ccts done!

The kill switch error was one I managed on an old trail bike, the switch was so inconspicuous that it was hard to tell if it was on or off. I had knocked it and nearly gave myself a coronary trying to kickstart it....

:beer: