browser crashing

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
callam_nffc

browser crashing

Post by callam_nffc »

The other week my desktop through a wobbler and became really temperamental, not loading up etc
Then the computer started booting, but IE wouldn't load, leaving me no browser

Now it's fine all of a sudden, except that certain sites won't load full stop, Hotmail crashes as soon as I click log in and keeps trying to reboot until it gives the error of windows failed to retrieve the page
Tried firefox and that does exactly the same, just crashes

Seems very odd that it's selective about when it crashes, and it's driving me mad as there is an important email I need to retrieve
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Virt

Re: browser crashing

Post by Virt »

Sounds dodgy.

Install (the free version) of malware bytes anti malware ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ) and run a full scan. Leave the computer for 2-3 hours and see what it comes up with. If that fails try running DxDiag (start menu - > search -> "DxDiag" ) and check your driver is up to date on your network card :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

What version of windows and IE are you using? Have you tried using any other browsers Chrome, Safari etc?

Using MS Windows, IE and hotmail is fraught with potential for all kind of infestations of lurgies...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi m8tey..first check for virus scan and install latest updated version.. run a scan . then
check for malaware..you may have downloaded an infestation or some other orrbile
piece of crap ... as previously commented on malawarebytes is very good and is free.
check on your internet connection ..unplug and reboot, check all your hardwiring
then if all fails.. consider internal problems , hard drive etc seems odd that it crashes
on certain sites though. :thumbup:
Alb...good luck :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Have you turned it off and back on again? And that is the extent of my knowledge of pooters. Good luck
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev L wrote:Have you turned it off and back on again? And that is the extent of my knowledge of pooters. Good luck
:thumbup:
And banged it on the side with your hand?
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Oh yeah I forgot the other weapon in the armoury, brute force & ignorance. And I'm loaded with both baby!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Ran the newest version of avg and it's found nothing

Tried other browsers and they crash on the same sites, its almost as if something has got its way on and blocks certain scripts or something

I'm running xp and have the most up to date version of IE that I can, it just seems very odd that it's selective about what sites it crashes on :/

No problems with the Internet, all other devices run flawlessly on it
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Is Flash & other plug-ins all up-to-date?

Time to consider moving on from XP

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/08 ... r_to_live/

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240 ... of-support
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I think your right mate, my laptop has windows 7 pro, only problem is its currently 90 miles away lol
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

There is nothing wrong with XP - it's much better than Vista and W7 isn't much different, except it's easier to network. Delete your browser cache, deleting all cookies etc. Download and run CCleaner and run that (search for it and downlaod the free version).

If it happens in other browsers, then it is something else being stored causing the problem.

I have run various MS operating systems and IE over the years and have always used Norton security and have never had a virus or malware problem!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I use malwarebytes which I agree is very good, and I also use SAS (superantispyware). You could download that, update it and run a scan. Note though, when you go to open SAS it will leave a little bug type thing in the task bar near the time, just click on that to open it. http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

In the mean time, can you not borrow someone else's pc and access your important email from there. You only need your email address and password to do that. Just make sure you log out once you've finished.

Chris.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Was in the office at work today so finalllly got the email i needed sent

thanks for the tips guys i will have a look and see what i can do to fix it, now then, wheres my hammer? :mrgreen:
Virt

Post by Virt »

callam_nffc wrote: wheres my hammer? :mrgreen:
Oh look, it's Lloydie v2.0 :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement