Grab Rail and Seat Cowl

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Alienist

Grab Rail and Seat Cowl

Post by Alienist »

hey guys,

I've fitted my storm with a Renntec grab rail and I've noticed in the gallery that some bikes have managed to keep their rear cowls on as well. I can't seem to get mine to fit back into place. Is there a mod for the cowl or have I been hit, once again, with that large stick called stupidity??

Any help would be great. :D

Thanks,

Nathan..
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Never tried the cowl with the rail. Why would you ? Surely if you've got the rail on then your going to have a pillion ? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Yella,

mate, my girlie is my pillion and she lives 350 km away at the moment so I'm on the bike mostly by myself. So being basically a lazy, but creative, human being I figured why take the rail off when I could just put the cowl back on in between needing the rear seat. There in lies my motivation.

Kaz, like, you been jiggling the seat cowl don't you?? :D

I guess i'll just fiddle with it til I get frustrated and just leave it off, but at least I would have given it a good five minutes of my attention :D
Spice Freighter

kevg

Post by kevg »

i know a few people that have done this, was talking to them at the weekend because i have the same problem.

the way to sort it is to swap the two hooks under the seat that engage into the hoops and keep the seat held down. it leaves the seat fixed at the front and with the lock mechanism itself only. the hooks miss the loops, you could prolly take them off altogether.

i have an alarm that would sound if anyone started to tamper with the bike but anyone who doesn't might be a bit wary of doing this mod because you loose some of the security these two hooks give you.

there might be a way to file them down a bit and not have to reverse/remove them, so that you don't have to push the seat down and into position from the back, not sure though
cheerz

kev
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Thanks for that mate, will have a look at it tomorrow. Cheers for your help.
Spice Freighter

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Aleinst
the other alternative is to "modifiy" your cowl a bit. I've got the rentec on mine and wanted to retain the hump when solo riding so I've trimed about a centimeter of the rear left and righthand edges of the cowl.
I used a mini drill and a small hand file to tidy it up afterwards and it doesn't look too bad

Pete.l
Badger

Post by Badger »

Try this,

I find it works for me, with seat off bend the wire loops on the subframe forward about 5mm.
Slide the seat with cowl fitted into the grabrail, then lower the front gently, with all eight fingers inserted between the front of the seat & tank, push your thumbs against the tank & flex the seat untill the front slides under the locating lug. Reverse the operation to remove the seat.

Alan
logan7

Post by logan7 »

Badger is right just tap the wire loops forward a bit is all you need to do :wink: i have a rentec rail that is fitted and i think the bike looks crap without the cowl
The force is strong in this one
logan7

Post by logan7 »

The force is strong in this one
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've got mine fitted with Renntec grab rail.
Didn't bend the wire bits coz they're not the problem, I trimmed a bit off the 'tongue' (moulded into the underside of the seat) so it doesn't have to be pushed as far back to fit under the front mount.

5 minutes with a stanley knife (followed by 3 hours in casualty!! :lol: ) and it works a treat

Ben
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Thanks again guys. I've been looking for an excuse to use that shiny new stanley knife I bought :D
Spice Freighter