engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
AMCQ46

Re: engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Post by AMCQ46 »

that is a good plan tony :thumbup: I put tape all over the back cover on engine #1 when i took the frame off, but forgot to do the same to engine #2 and put a little scratch on it just were you can see it between the tank and the frame :(
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to hear all seems fine Al, especially the 150psi compression on both cylinders :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Al, have you put a handlebar brace on your new renthal bars, or are they fine without :?:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris,
The superbike bars are designed to work without a brace, that's only needed for motocross bars when the loads are much higher (unless you plan jumping 60ft table tops on the storm :D )

The bend is pretty low on these plus they are prety strong.....and I don't think the brace looks good on a road bike
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Al for the info, and no :lol: I'm not planning on going off-roading with the Storm. I too think they look better without a brace, although on a streetfighter to me they look alright.

Are these the correct type you used in your bar conversion http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Renthal-U ... 5d3e554ff6 :?: apart from a different colour of course :wink:

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

AMCQ46 wrote:Chris,
The superbike bars are designed to work without a brace, that's only needed for motocross bars when the loads are much higher (unless you plan jumping 60ft table tops on the storm :D )

The bend is pretty low on these plus they are prety strong.....and I don't think the brace looks good on a road bike
Depends on the top yoke arrangement. Mine did not require the removal of the top yoke they just slipped on where the clipons were and because they are independent the brace bar is necessary. This photo best illustrates this.

leelee

Post by leelee »

Where did u get those bar risers from they look just the job. Like that look. :clap:
ride it till the tires fall off then keep going !!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote:Thanks Al for the info, and no :lol: I'm not planning on going off-roading with the Storm. I too think they look better without a brace, although on a streetfighter to me they look alright.

Are these the correct type you used in your bar conversion http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Renthal-U ... 5d3e554ff6 :?: apart from a different colour of course :wink:

Chris.
Yes those are the same ones I used. If you use a riser that is no higher than 1" above the existing yoke then you only need to take 1" off the back of the fairing and blend it parallel to the ground.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Darkember, thanks for the information and the photo on that type of top yoke conversion :thumbup:

Al, thanks for confirming that (re: the handlebar type) and for the information about the fairing modification :thumbup:

Chris.
saint gaz

Post by saint gaz »

sounds a daft question

but how did you line up the bars to know where to fit the risers? and how close to the edge of the yoke where you?
defo like this look, where the risers just standard ones or renthal?

sorry so many questions but its my first big bike (started late) so I'm totally green. :oops:

oh 1 more thing, are the holes threaded for the risers or easy bolt ons.
saint gaz

Post by saint gaz »

leelee wrote:Where did u get those bar risers from they look just the job. Like that look. :clap:
+ 1

I know I'm late on the scene :wink:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

darkember wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:Chris,

Depends on the top yoke arrangement. Mine did not require the removal of the top yoke they just slipped on where the clipons were and because they are independent the brace bar is necessary. This photo best illustrates this.

They do look great, what bars,what yokes, where from and how much? oh the questions!!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

saint gaz wrote:sounds a daft question

but how did you line up the bars to know where to fit the risers? and how close to the edge of the yoke where you?
defo like this look, where the risers just standard ones or renthal?

sorry so many questions but its my first big bike (started late) so I'm totally green. :oops:

oh 1 more thing, are the holes threaded for the risers or easy bolt ons.

Might take a few goes at answering, but starting with lining up:
Because the forks stick up through the yoked, you need to use angled risers.

Once you have the bars and the risers loosly fitted to each other you need to position them onto the yoke (with your old clipons removed) so they are clearing the forks when the bars are in an upright (or slightly forward) position,then i drew round them with a marker pen. From there i worked out where the hole should be and drilled one side from that reference,then measured the other side so it was in the exact mirror position.

But My risers were not angled and wouldn't have worked if I didn't have them machined to get an angle onto them, and then that ment the mounting bolt was no longer running at90 degrees, it made it all very complicated.

To minimise the amount you have to cut from the faring, you have to have a riser which is less than 1" bar centerline above the yoke, and use the ultra low street bike bars.

I will see if I can find a link to the ones you should use later
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yup those are the correct bars :thumbup:
AMcQ