GSXR + Rain = Not a happy bike

General Bike chat
seb421

GSXR + Rain = Not a happy bike

Post by seb421 »

Rode the bike in heavy rain last night on the way to work, it then turned into some sort of monsoon not far from where where i drowned the storm a while ago

almost immediately after it started twatting it down the bike was running like sh1t missing and spluttering, same symptoms as when the storms front drain hole is blocked and the water collects and then boils up in the recess and coil and makes it run like sh1t

Had to put my hazards on and ride down the hard shoulder till i got it off the motorway.

left the bike running for a while when i got to work to help it generate some heat and dry out whatever rain had got where it shouldn't have been

fired up okay 6 hours later for the ride home, again in the rain but only light rain

got home took the seats off to find the ECU and plugs all wet, dried it all out with a hairdryer and some spray and paper towels

easy to see how this happens when you look at the poor design :(

Rain gets down the back of the seat and then where the join is gets in the recess and then drops directly onto either plug, yep well done on that one suzuki!

Note the visible light here... this is okay if your riding and no traffic as your front wheel wont whip up spray in here but get anywhere near a car or truck and its piss wet in here which coats the batt and ecu etc

So much spray gets in it covers the pillion area and inside of the indicators and other gubbins and also gets into the tool bay area
and then runs down the centre, yep you guessed it back to the ecu!

Also replaced those bolts from a previous grab rail or somthing that was fitted with some Titanium ones, these now grip in the thread unlike the junk that was in that you could pull up without screwing

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
agentpineapple

Re: GSXR + Rain = Not a happy bike

Post by agentpineapple »

tut tut tut, that ain't good, could you wrap the ecu's in a plastic bag? or would they over heat.
i suppose most riders of gixer thou's only ride in the dry. has anyone come across this on the suzuki forum?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Get yourself some ACF-50 and spray everything that's electrical, it'll never happen again...
seb421

Post by seb421 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:tut tut tut, that ain't good, could you wrap the ecu's in a plastic bag? or would they over heat.
i suppose most riders of gixer thou's only ride in the dry. has anyone come across this on the suzuki forum?
Don't know mate gave up on that sh1t site, they don't seem to know anything mechanical in relation to the bike,

Asked some simple questions like what's the weak points on the model i.e CCT's / Reg etc etc and never got answers they just chat about who can get there new down further or which anodised bit looks better
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Seb its a race bike not a commuter .
Get the silicone out and go over all the wires and plugs .
Failing that buy a submarine lol
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just sell it & buy another storm :biggrin
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I'll just have to get a car liesnce sooner than I hoped to have to have one by

Been about 6 years since my last car lesson wombles hated that, some POS renoult modus thing when it was windy it's was worse in that than on the bike

Because I have a bike licence does that mean I will still have a valid car provisnal thing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
popkat

Post by popkat »

Never had any problems with my K5 in the wet, or the K7 which has similar seat design, I'd been out in some really heavy rain on both. I can see what your saying about the design though. As mentioned ACF50 or put some grease in the back of the connectors. have you unplugged the ecu connections to check for corrosion, it might be that some green has built up over the last 8 or so years and that didn't help with the rain.

There's never been much in the way of technical stuff on gixerjunkies, but then again there's not a lot that goes wrong with them.

Your bike licence gives you provisional car entitlement, you will still have to sit a car theory test though.
Look on the paper part of your licence it should be listed there, it's category B.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I never had to resit my theory test I did it in 96 for the bike and in 2002 I past the car . Don't know if things have changed now tho .
Virt

Post by Virt »

seb421 wrote:I'll just have to get a car liesnce sooner than I hoped to have to have one by

Been about 6 years since my last car lesson ferking hated that, some POS renoult modus thing when it was windy it's was worse in that than on the bike

Because I have a bike licence does that mean I will still have a valid car provisnal thing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah. Any license, pink or green, will count as a provisional for a car and/or allow you to do CBT and stuff. Because when you apply for a provisional you never state which route you're going down :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

wont be long now ..

he,s coming back from the dark side :lol:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.