Clutch Cover Window with LED Lighting

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lloydie

Re: Clutch Cover Window with LED Lighting

Post by lloydie »

those marks look like where it was removed and cleaned up from the casting mould .
i have them on both my clutches .
seb421

Post by seb421 »

lloydiecbr wrote:those marks look like where it was removed and cleaned up from the casting mould .
i have them on both my clutches .
Same here same on both my engines

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh well, as long as it's normal. I wouldn't call it cleaned up though. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Hoppo

Post by Hoppo »

Hi Carl
Never mind all the chintzy stuff banter - here's a wild engineering suggestion.
Could you create clearance you want by making a metal shim spacer & sandwich it between two gaskets?
Making a shim the shape of the gasket's a bit complex but could be done. The only problem could the ratio of how much space you want & the length of the water pump drive shaft.

Done this type of thing a few times in the dim & distant past with solid copper head gaskets & gaskets for other joints when tuning cars.
Cheers all for the entertainment
Hoppo
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tony suggested that in one of the earlier posts.
BTW, you could always make up a thicker gasket if there's not enough room, the gasket thickness isn't critical, really, as long as you space the ignition trigger accordingly.
The water pump drive shaft is long enough to space it out 5mm or so, I would have thought.
The only problem with that is that I don't have the tools for cutting out large pieces of sheet metal. Maybe some hardboard would do it :think: that's easy to cut out with a Stanley or scalpel and I could seal it to make it waterproof. Mmmm, you have got me thinking now!!!

Another option would be to abandon the cross section at the front and open the hole thing up and add a spacer at the front as Scubadog done.

I think I shall persist with the way I'm going about it for now and see how it goes. But the hardboard idea is growing on me as it would give me about 3mm more and is no different from using a load of paper gaskets. I could probably rip some out the back of the wardrobe or something. :lol: :lol: Actually I think I have some lying around in the loft. And the pulse tripper can easily be countered with some washers so it remains in the same position.

You have certainly got me thinking. Thanks for you input Hoppo it's much appreciated. :thumbup:

NHSH

Post by NHSH »

Carl, I would suggest a thick cork gasket sheet, but the gasket may be too skinny due to the gasket surface, how about making a spacer from aluminum sheet? Or even more exotic idea, you can cut another piece of lexan as a spacer (you can probably go with 6 mm) and can add more led lights there too, so you have like a bright outlining around the clutch cover as well. that would look even more interesting
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That would involve spendng more money. :thumbdown: Cork is a good idea like they use on rocker/cam covers but finding thick cork is not easy. Not cheaply anyway. Then it compresses down a lot once torqued up. The gasket would need to remain reasonably solid so the distance for the pulse pick-up does not move. :think:

Still waiting on parts to turn up. I'm looking forward to seeing the LED's for real. I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and order the Lexan, recess the 2mm out, and go for it. If it does not work then I can re evaluate things and try another approach. TBH I not liking the ide of making the gasket deeper but would prefer to take take the route that Scubadog done and cut the front. I could just get a round plate machined up. Maybe out of Titanium. Ooo there's a thought. Actually Carbon fibre would be better.

Maybe I would be better taking that approach, but my reasoning for keeping the cross section at the front is to keep rather stock looking, plus if I cut that out, I am left with the raised bits on the sides which look ugly.

Someone taught me a law to stick to, when working on things many years ago. "The law of least effort" Sometimes we can make things overcomplicated and it's best to keep things simple.

whitestorm pete

Post by whitestorm pete »

iv got some cork gasket sheet if you need some its about 1.5 mm
If sh1t were money you would be worth a fortune
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

iv got some cork gasket sheet if you need some its about 1.5 mm
Thanks for the offer but it looks like I'm not going to need it mate.

Done a bit more to today.

LED strip turned up. It's only 10mm wide and about 3mm deep and reasonably flexible. I should be able to get it around the outer circumference where the casing tapers in. So it will sit just around the outside of the Lexan window. I worked out that I can actually run the wire on the inside towards the back if I run them along the side nearest the swingarm/rearsets.

I have put the bike back together again for now as it is going to be a week or so before I get the window cut and in place plus the LED all in situ on the spare case. I now have another problem though as I filled the cooling system back up got rid of any air locks etc and my fan is not kicking in. I have connected it directly to the battery and it's not working, so is looking like a faulty fan. I shall get out tomorrow and investigate further, check the electrical connectors, earth etc.

edds11

Post by edds11 »

check for stones around the outside of the fan and the shroud, if then check the fuse, mine did the same from a piece of roadstone
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''Someone taught me a law to stick to, when working on things many years ago. "The law of least effort" Sometimes we can make things overcomplicated and it's best to keep things simple.''

So your getting Marty round to help out then are you ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
seb421

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:
Another option would be to abandon the cross section at the front and open the hole thing up and add a spacer at the front as Scubadog done.
Knew it was that guy that done it :) just couldn't find the pictures he posted when i said a while back

it would look great with something like this machined up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-748-99 ... 58933eb32d
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
scubadog

Re: Clutch Cover Query

Post by scubadog »

Kev L wrote:Seb I think the bloke you are after is Scubadog.
Seb, I've been off the forum for a while so missed this thread about the damper thing on the inside of the clutch casing. Or whatever it is...

Anyway, I fightered my VTR - you might see pics of an orange bike elsewhere on the forum - and wanted to put a window in the case. I checked with my local Honda dealership and they said it was some kind of oil thrower or circulator or summat. Can't remember to be honest. BUT, removing it doesn't affect the engine - it's no noisier and certainly not more vibey than when this thing was still in place.

Cheers
Scubadog
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Cor blimey blast from the past. I'm glad you posted here as it's just reminded me to order the Lexan as I still haven't done it and the nice weather is here. And now I have a dremel for cutting and trimming there is no excuse. I seem to be juggling too many projects at the same time :roll: Can you remember what thickness sheet you went with and how does it hold up strength-wise.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

scubadog wrote:
Kev L wrote:Seb I think the bloke you are after is Scubadog.
Seb, I've been off the forum for a while so missed this thread about the damper thing on the inside of the clutch casing. Or whatever it is...

Anyway, I fightered my VTR - you might see pics of an orange bike elsewhere on the forum - and wanted to put a window in the case. I checked with my local Honda dealership and they said it was some kind of oil thrower or circulator or summat. Can't remember to be honest. BUT, removing it doesn't affect the engine - it's no noisier and certainly not more vibey than when this thing was still in place.

Cheers
Scubadog
Cheers buddy knew I wasn't going mad dreaming you mentioned that lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14