what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
NHSH

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by NHSH »

cybercarl wrote:I also had two road races with harly's :lol: one this morning and another coming home.

(:-})
What kind of race you can get out of these big American Iron? Hardly Sportster :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTW, You know what they say about them bikes... if your HD doesn't leak oil means you have no oil left in it
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Trust you to spot that. It was either going to be yourself or Mik. The one this morning was a real nice looking bike actually and sounded awesome. I had a brief chat with him at the traffic lights. We both went through a tunnel that runs alongside the River Thames at full pelt, cans screaming. :lol: The guy on the way back, I let him jump ahead a bit ad he was making manoeuvres I considered to be a bit risky in the heavy traffic so I held back. I soon caught up with him at the next set of lights. Ifr I wanted to take risks I would have whipped his butt courier style.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

:lol: :lol: I guess you know me by now :lol: :lol: Cheers mate :thumbup:
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

Oh yea, I got a full size bike lift, what a pleasure to work on my bikes now...
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Recived my new fork springs yesterday and tried to fit them today.....

Stripped the forks down in situe and drained the oil. Got the old progressive springs out and placed them against the new linear springs...

To find out the new springs were 11mm shorter than the old ones!!! This is when I started to worry that the springs had been placed in the wrong box which had the correct label on it. So I phones FTR and asked them, they said they would get back to me ASAP as they had to phone Holland and speak to there supplier.

After a rather staticy call with Llyodie and a phone back as I could not hear him we realised that the springs really were to short. Anyway I put them together and hoped that adjusting the pre-load enough would sort the problem. Did it?........... did it fook. the static sag was about 2inch. Had to lift the bike back off the floor and remove the tops of the forks. Then had to make up some new spacers to add with the originals to sort the problem out. I must had picked the hardest steel laying around that was the right size as it took about 10mins to cut through with a grinder 8O Eventually got the new spacers cleaned up, edges tapered so they do not dig into the fork tubes and got the suspension set up.

Took a slightly longer trip home from work (4mile trip) and it feels fantastic. Got to go on a longer ride to find out for sure. Not bad though, 4hours to do springs :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good work Cris .
One question did you remove the forks from the bike to put oil in ?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

No did not remove the forks. Gave them a good pump before measuring the air gap to let it all settle.
popkat

Post by popkat »

?? So how did you drain the oil ?, and how did you measure the air gap when it needs to be done with forks fully compressed with no spring and the forks upright ?.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Drained the fork oil out of the bottom bolt on the forks above he spindle. Lowered the bike right down and raised the butt end to get forks level and used a jack to raise lower section of fork up with the weight of he bike pushing down. Got all the right amount of oil in and got 130mm air gap.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Sounds like you made hard work for yourself, you only had to loosen the pinch bolts on the yokes and the forks would have been out. but you got the job done :thumbup:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I know it sounds like hard work but I had nothing to put under the sump to hold the bike off he floor to remove the forks. But like you say, jobs done :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Ckennedy wrote:I know it sounds like hard work but I had nothing to put under the sump to hold the bike off he floor to remove the forks. But like you say, jobs done :thumbup:
You never do things the easy way lol
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I cant help it if I get bored if the job is to easy. This is a brain that loves puzzles :lol: :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Kermit butt felt wrong (loose) to and from work today .
Diagnoses damaged dust seal on the brake side of the rear wheel which Lead to bearing failure :-(
New bearings and seals ordered and they should be ready for collection from Honda on the way home from work tomorrow £13.71
leelee

Post by leelee »

well finally got the newly painted rear wheel fitted. new chain and sprockets, rear brake serviced, repsol fairing fitted, good clean. oil and filter done. forgot cct gaskets so couldn't get that job done. bike looking good now just need tank to be orange and transformation complete. :thumbup:
ride it till the tires fall off then keep going !!!!!!!