Brake pads

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scouse645

Brake pads

Post by scouse645 »

Evening all, had a look at the front brake pads today as the braking doesn't seem that good, :problem: i measured the pad thickness and there is about 4-5mm left on them, is that getting a bit low?
Ckennedy

Re: Brake pads

Post by Ckennedy »

Nah there's loads left in them yet. If you take them out there should be a wear limit groove on them. It may be that the pads have glazed over. This can be sorted using a bit on emary cloth over the surface to rough them up or just get new ones.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Are they green ?
4-5 is like new lol
Might be time to give the caliper a service
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

They look a bit rough, ordered new ones EBC hh sintered pads off ebay quite cheap.
chric

Post by chric »

:thumbdown: shite I have them on rear be better going old school and putting my foot on back tyre :lol:
Brembos on front and are stunning :thumbup:
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Brembos or bendex or Lucas
But the pads are only one bit of the braking system .
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

Can always send them back, :?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Brembo's are fantastic but they have hardly any meat on them 8O but they don't seem to wear down :lol: As Lloyd said though they are only one part. One of the best things you could do is pull the pistons out, check the seals, give the callipers a good clean (mine where like thick caramel behind the pistons) smear a bit of red rubber grease around the pistons and put them back in. Stick some nice pads in, fit braided hoses, fill the whole system with fresh fluid and bleed. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

cybercarl wrote:Brembo's are fantastic but they have hardly any meat on them 8O but they don't seem to wear down :lol: As Lloyd said though they are only one part. One of the best things you could do is pull the pistons out, check the seals, give the callipers a good clean (mine where like thick caramel behind the pistons) smear a bit of red rubber grease around the pistons and put them back in. Stick some nice pads in, fit braided hoses, fill the whole system with fresh fluid and bleed. :thumbup:

You make it sound so easy but we all know there'll be atleast 4 hours of swearing when the flowers won't bleed properly
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Actually it's not the bleeding that's going to make one swear but getting the pistons out if seized/stuck in place. If your lucky they will just pop out if you squeeze the lever but they will most likely be a bit stuck, hence the brakes are not so effective and needing a service which is common to the standard Storm brakes.

Bleeding can be a pain if one is doing it by hand and doesn't have something to draw the fluid through. Clutch is the worst and it always helps if there are two people even if they just keep an eye on and top up reservoir levels.

scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

As always all help is gratefully received, just want all jobs done before any long trips for my own peace of mind, booked the ferry for the manx in august, will be at the tt also but not on my bike, looking forward to that. :D
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

cheapest brembo pads seem to be carbon ceramic?

are they any good?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

cheapest brembo pads seem to be carbon ceramic?

are they any good?
The Red coloured ones for road use. And yeh as the Frosties tiger says theirrrr greaaaat. :lol: They are expensive and they don't have much meat on them but they perform well and don't wear down half as fast as EBC's or equivalent. Jonsey recommended them and I trust his judgement as our brake guru.

gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

The Brembo pads are the dogs dangleys, fitted them to mine, i managed to do damage to my hand and my mate had to ride the storm home (he rides a bandit 600) when he got off he said he stopped so much quicker than his bandit and he had to pull away again to ride up my drive and nearly threw him self over the bars. i will not fit anything else on the storm now
popkat

Post by popkat »

chric wrote::thumbdown: shite I have them on rear be better going old school and putting my foot on back tyre :lol:
Brembos on front and are stunning :thumbup:
EBCHH pads are really good, never heard anyone say they're Shiite before, something wrong there I think.

Original Honda pads would be my choice though, Still got the originals in mine and the brakes are as good as they can be with plenty of feel, they do go off if the fluid is old though.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s