Anybody else not checked tyre pressures for a while?

General Bike chat
Wicky

Re: Anybody else not checked tyre pressures for a while?

Post by Wicky »

For track use you remove air and pump in more vacuum to keep tires from conducting heat and overheating.

For road use seaside air is best as it contains negative ions that have the ability to absorb extra oxygen and thus aid the tires to breathe better.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

seb421 wrote:i check mine every two weeks at least with the digital pressure gauge,

some might think thats anal i don't know i just like to have peace of mind and top up if required
same here :clap:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

I went out and thought "this is a bit squidgy", sure enough, pressures way down.

I won't tell you what they were but let's just say i really should have checked beforehand :p.

Feels bloody lovely now though.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

mattycoops43 wrote:
Would fitting a stronger valve spring reduce air loss? I was watching something other day and they said at speed the inertial forces on the spring can cause it to back off and a tiny amount of air escape

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

The valve is pushed IN to let air escape, so centripetal force will push it shut not open.[/quote]

centripetal??? yes, that will be applied by the spring to close the valve but
:lol: i think Centrifugal forces are what Seb is talking about, over powering the spring:lol:
Good question Seb, and It's certainly possible. Contrary to what Matty thinks the central pin could get heavy enough to release air or nitrogen for that matter. The weight of the pin versus the strength of the spring also the internal pressure of the tyre and the speed of rotation would all have to be taken into consideration. I've only heard of it being an issue with high speed racing cars but I don't see why it couldn't transpose to road vehicles too :think:
Maybe we should set up some tests?
I know some good stretches of the A38 we could try :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Just use nitrous; you'll be laughing.
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Whoa Nelly wrote:Just use nitrous; you'll be laughing.
Ba boom tish!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Pete.L wrote:
mattycoops43 wrote:
Would fitting a stronger valve spring reduce air loss? I was watching something other day and they said at speed the inertial forces on the spring can cause it to back off and a tiny amount of air escape

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The valve is pushed IN to let air escape, so centripetal force will push it shut not open.[/quote]

centripetal??? yes, that will be applied by the spring to close the valve but
:lol: i think Centrifugal forces are what Seb is talking about, over powering the spring:lol:
Good question Seb, and It's certainly possible. Contrary to what Matty thinks the central pin could get heavy enough to release air or nitrogen for that matter. The weight of the pin versus the strength of the spring also the internal pressure of the tyre and the speed of rotation would all have to be taken into consideration. I've only heard of it being an issue with high speed racing cars but I don't see why it couldn't transpose to road vehicles too :think:
Maybe we should set up some tests?
I know some good stretches of the A38 we could try :D

Pete.l[/quote]

Not sure I am following this, centripetal force is the outwards force, which would be acting to push parts of the valve away from the axle. Centrifugal is the inward restraining force that stops the parts being flung outwards, they cancel each other out unless a part is actually moving in or out.

I am quite happy to admit though that I was getting it butt about tit though as yes, the centripetal force would be pushing the valve down into the wheel rim so releasing air, however it is a factor of the weight of the valve centre, so as it's probably about 1gram it would be a tiny amount of force.

Hmmm, maybe lightweight, titanium race valve centres are the way to go! :beer:
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Umm! Titanium....That's got to be the answer, either that or carbon fibre :thumbup:
:D :D :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Pete.L wrote:Umm! Titanium....That's got to be the answer, either that or carbon fibre :thumbup:
:D :D :D
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Carbon & Ti, oops just had a crisis!!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

or use 90deg bend valves so they are easy to inflate at the petrol station and the centripetal force [good to see someone that knows what that is :D ] is no longer acting in the direction of the valve & spring..............Then fit Ti caps just for fun :D
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Could you use Helium in the tyres, to lighten the bike?

Would be cheaper than carbon wheels etc :angel:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Could you use Helium in the tyres, to lighten the bike?

Would be cheaper than carbon wheels etc :angel:
I like that idea. It would make the fly :clap: :clap:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside