Anybody else not checked tyre pressures for a while?

General Bike chat
seb421

Re: Anybody else not checked tyre pressures for a while?

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:
I'd still worry about it. We fill our aircraft tyres with Nitrogen only. They still go down.
I thought the whole point of using nitrogen is that it does not expand and contract the same way air does with various weather conditions and does not go stale and flat. :think: I could be wrong.

(:-})
Ditto, It was my understanding that it was far more stable than air and didn't expand and contract as readily as air under the same conditions hence race teams and track enthusiasts using it in its place

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

That's correct but it's still a gas so can still escape if your valve is leaking or whatever.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
geodude

Post by geodude »

I've been using nitrogen in my tyres for 5 years now and wont go back to air unless necessary.

Why? Because I can, longer tyre wear, reduced loss of pressure (unless faulty valve :P) and better distribution of heat (not just on the contact patch) etc.

As for checking your pressures think POWDER check before every ride. :thumbup:
Last edited by geodude on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cybercarl wrote:
I'd still worry about it. We fill our aircraft tyres with Nitrogen only. They still go down.
I thought the whole point of using nitrogen is that it does not expand and contract the same way air does with various weather conditions and does not go stale and flat. :think: I could be wrong.

You are half right. Nitrogen is more stable and has less water content in it when compressed than air But the whole concept ,which has become misconstrued, is that nitrogen wont leak out like air does over time because it's a larger molecule.
Total rubbish :thumbup:
If you've got a Richard valve or a slightly porus wheel or a ruff rim (and that one can hurt 8O ) it's still going to leak. Stick with air and at least you can check and or top up your tyres where ever you go.
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Pete.L wrote:
cybercarl wrote:

You are half right. Nitrogen is more stable and has less water content in it when compressed than air But the whole concept ,which has become misconstrued, is that nitrogen wont leak out like air does over time because it's a larger molecule.
Total rubbish :thumbup:
If you've got a Richard valve or a slightly porus wheel or a ruff rim (and that one can hurt 8O ) it's still going to leak. Stick with air and at least you can check and or top up your tyres where ever you go.
Pete.l
Would fitting a stronger valve spring reduce air loss? I was watching something other day and they said at speed the inertial forces on the spring can cause it to back off and a tiny amount of air escape

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

with air and at least you can check and or top up your tyres where ever you go.
Now that is very true. And with that in mind and what you have said then Nitrogen is just not worth the extra. I will just have to just check my air pressure more regularly. :think:

==============================Enter the Darkside
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

seb421 wrote:Would fitting a stronger valve spring reduce air loss? I was watching something other day and they said at speed the inertial forces on the spring can cause it to back off and a tiny amount of air escape
Thats why it is important to have a well fitting valve cap, keeps the crap out and acts as a secondary seal :wink:
geodude

Post by geodude »

cybercarl wrote:
with air and at least you can check and or top up your tyres where ever you go.
Now that is very true. And with that in mind and what you have said then Nitrogen is just not worth the extra. I will just have to just check my air pressure more regularly. :think:

If (and it is rare) I get to a point where it needs inflating due to pressure loss, I won't go "Oh sh1t, its got nitrogen in it, I can't put air in" lol I'll just top it up with air. :roll:

As for the extra cost, I get it for free as a loyal customer but even if I had to pay for it (£1:50 per tyre), I would without a doubt.

As with most things like this, at least try it before knocking it :twisted:

"Running on nitrogen for 5 years and proud"
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not knocking. It at £3 a throw I would be willing to give it a try. I just got to find somewhere around here that does it. So far I have mostly read good stuff. I especially like the fact that it reduces tyre wear so there's a huge saving there to begin with. And I am particularly lazy with checking my tyre pressures. I normally wait until the bike's handling tells me.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

do you have any ATS euromasters down there? i think they all have the facility mate

Does it feel any different having Nitrogen in?
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
geodude

Post by geodude »

seb421 wrote:Does it feel any different having Nitrogen in?
erm. I dont run nitrogen in my SM and I do notice loss of pressure more frequently but it's already been said that this could be due to other issues.

I have noticed that when I do check pressures, which I still do regulalry, I rarely have to top it up and a bike will handle better at or near recommended pressure so I guess the answer to your questions is kind of yes. lol

It's the reduced wear where it really makes a difference. I had it written down somewhere but I managed to get about 1k more miles out of a rear after using nitrogen. 1k extra for a few quid is worth it to me.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

do you have any ATS euromasters down there?
Nice one, I shall check them out. There a few down here.

mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

[/quote]

Would fitting a stronger valve spring reduce air loss? I was watching something other day and they said at speed the inertial forces on the spring can cause it to back off and a tiny amount of air escape

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

The valve is pushed IN to let air escape, so centripetal force will push it shut not open.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Going back a little, why do folk run low tyre pressure on track but not road?
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Miztaziggy wrote:Going back a little, why do folk run low tyre pressure on track but not road?
I believe, as push the tyre compound harder , this generates heat. This inturn increases the internal gas pressure more than say normal road riding. This therefore means, on track lower initial pressure is required