Firestorm or R6!!!!

General Biker Banter
wezrvf

Firestorm or R6!!!!

Post by wezrvf »

I have had a pretty good offer, i let a guy ride my storm yesterday and he said do i want to do a straight swap for a T reg R6, pretty much imac! I have a 97(R) Storm in mint con!! The R6 is worth more than the storm but not too sure what to do as i love my storm but have always wanted an R6!!!!! Any one who has ridden both might be able to help, i only use the bike for a toy but i would consider running cost etc as i have found the Storm drink petrol like a car!!
Any help will be great, cheers
Wez
wezrvf

Post by wezrvf »

Hahaha, yeah i have had a go, and it runs like new, the guy is a bike mechanic at a garage round the corner from my house it has been well looked after but i know what you mean about a big thumping engine to a screaming 4 but just wondered what you guys thought, not sure what insurance group an r6 is but i wouldnt imagine it would be much more than the storm but you never know with these insurance guys!!!
Johnny Wishbone

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Think it's the same grp Wes, grp 14.

Depends what you want in a bike, personally I wouldn't buy an R6, well, not in place of a Storm, but it is a lot sharper. I really don't think any of the 600s (with the exception of any of the 636s and the new Gixer) compares to the VTR.
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

One of the most nimble, best handling bikes I've ever ridden. If it had the stomp out of the corners of a Storm I'd have one tommorrow. It's faster than a storm but the engine doesn't pull as well as a Storm until about 8 thou. Too much hard work to keep it going quick if you ask me, I love the lazy lack of effort feeling the Storm gives me

Pete.l
Try it out first, I'm sure you'll like it :wink: Then you'll have to decide what you want :twisted:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Not tried the 636 only been on the 600rr version....nice but too much like hard work again. The R6 was a 2004 fuel injected it has frontend handling to die for, the Storm felt like I'd climebed onto a battleship when I got back on it compaired to the R6
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cool.
Anyone out there want to lend me the use of a 636 for an afternoon???

I'll be carefull and respect it .......honest 8O

Pete.l
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

you have to ask yourself,
WHY DOES HE WANT THE STORM ?
it may be clever, but its not big.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

personally....i just laughed at the title...

R6= show off bike for to$$ers with more money than sense. yes i know they are great bikes but the majoirty of them are never ridden properlly, they sound crap compaired to the storm, look pants.......

i could go on forever, hate those nasty nasty things....

and as been said before why would you swap a more expensive bike for one of lesser value? sounds sus to me!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

had an r6 a few years back found it really cramped and hard work to keep it fast but its all down to what floats your boat i woildnt swap but it might suit you
The voices made me do it
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

Hey, dont knock the storm mate, its a cracking bike, mine just proved that at this years TT. I think R6's are bad luck for me. Got one back in 99 when they were all the rage, and thought it was the dogs. The problem is any hard riding and the front gets all light on you, and ya got to keep it high in the rev range to have any fun, can be very unstable under hard braking just before tippin in too! I smashed my first one up after the front end stood up and took me by surprise. Tried again three bikes later in 2004, but had an even worse experience with its quick steering and became victim of a kerb stone :cry: , since ive had the storm, ive never looked back.
Oh, one other thing!, its got a crap lock on the steering, and u turns can be a mare with it, i kept geting my throttle hand stuck mid turn!

You got to find out for yourself though, so ask him if you can have it for a days ride out, to be sure!
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk