Insurance and legal cover

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Insurance and legal cover

Post by Miztaziggy »

Trying to get quotes for insurance and best I can find is £270 fully comp with 5 yrs no claims protected.

I didn't think that was too bad really, but they want another £30 for legal expense cover.

Has anyone had any experience of whether it is worthwhile if you have a no fault accident?
agentpineapple

Re: Insurance and legal cover

Post by agentpineapple »

Miztaziggy wrote:Trying to get quotes for insurance and best I can find is £270 fully comp with 5 yrs no claims protected.

I didn't think that was too bad really, but they want another £30 for legal expense cover.

Has anyone had any experience of whether it is worthwhile if you have a no fault accident?
after my accident i have vowed never to ride unless i have the best cover avaliable, trust me, £30 isn't alot if things go wrong.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Here's a bit of info about the subject: http://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/ ... insurance/

Read the comment from Zester

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3047686

These guys seem to know their stuff

http://www.motorcyclecompensation.com/about-us

I wouldn't be suprised to see a legal expenses cover scandal in the news like PPI
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thanks Phil that's really helpful, especially this:
As a lawyer who deals with personal injury claims following road accidents I would advise never to buy legal expense insurance with a motor policy. If you are involved in an accident a solicitor will take the claim on a no win - no fee basis anyway with no cost to you at all.

You may think that having legal expense insurance means a claim that is not very likely to win will be taken on but this is not the case; if a claim has no prospects and you have legal expense insurance the solicitor instructed will still drop the claim just as a solicitor on a no win - no fee will.

The only people who make any money out of the insurance are the broker/insurer who take your premium and then sell your claim onto a solicitor charging them a referral fee of several hundred pounds.
That has made my mind up for me, I have skipped the legal cover and saved £30, remind me to buy you a beer at Squires in May :)
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

:thumbup:

Get the details of the biker lawyers though
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

My van got hit by a polish lorry, and the insurance company said, sorry, he doesnt appear on the database so we're not interested. I went through legal cover, claimed off his company that was based in Germany via uninsured loss recovery and got the van paid for as a financial write off. I won't ride or drive without legal cover now.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Some great info there flatty. I just installed the android app that motorcyclecompensation.com supply. It could come in handy one day.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... llbmQiXQ..

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I will have a word with Tasum, he is a solicitor so will have a better idea
tasum

Post by tasum »

I'm no expert, but it boils down to what the legal expenses insurance policy will actually cover. Sometimes it's better to look at a stand alone policy rather than the option offered by your insurer. You want a policy that will cover the issues you think will arise and at a reasonable level.

It pays to do some research well ahead of your renewal so you can ask your insurer about their cover or better still get/download a copy of the policy schedule.

The no win no fee argument may not always apply as lots of firms don't work on that basis. They may look at the injury matters, but not so likely to help when it comes to tracing and recovering from an itinerant driver.

That may all change again if the small claims level for pi matters is raised to £5000 (it's currently £1000). If damages for your injury don't exceed the £1000 level (may go up to £5000 in due course) then there are no costs to collect, so firms can't do it on a no win no fee.

I'm sure there are other members on here who are more familiar with this issue and who may already have done some research on the best policies. If you have to pay for your legal representation it's something to consider.

I had it when it was free, but thought hard about it when I had to pay. I'm sure an organisation like Which will have looked at it. Often the best way to evaluate these policies is to research how often they pay out and how easy a process it is. We've all had bad experiences with insurers whose service is great when we're arranging the policy, but not so helpful when we're making a claim.

I'm sure there are members on here who have stories to tell. :think:

I may have to look at it again, cheers Flatty :crazy: :crazy:
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

SAVE £30 DON'T BOTHER
Unless it's 100% obviously not your fault legal cover is a waist of time. In my accident the uninsured driver was found guilty of un due care and attention and causing the accident. Legal cover would NOT touch the claim. An independent bike claims solicitor took the MIB to court and won for me.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »