Black Storm rising

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Trainraider

Re: Black Storm rising

Post by Trainraider »

As said, I was about to move to new country. Finland to be exact. And I did. And so did poor old Stormy.

I managed to get the engine "more or less" to one piece and attached that to the frame. So the transport was relatively easy and it is now staying for a while at my friends shabby shed.

But the lovely Finnish tax authorities have decided that I can't bring the bike to the country without paying taxes. It would have been ok, if the bike would be running. Then I could have been able to avoid taxes. But because the bike was not in running condition, I have to pay FULL taxes of it. How insane is that? Running bike - no taxes, broken bike - full taxes...

So the Storm is getting really expensive bike and I really have to consider just to make it to run and then sell it :thumbdown:

Oh. And the rear suspension is still at the workshop. That's full 4 months now :) They just didn't have the spring available at the racetech and we are still waiting that... :wtf:
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

thats crazy, do they need to see the bike? could you not just say the bike was in one piece and running fine?
after doing so much work it would be a shame to sell it.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Any updates on this. Hows the rebuild going?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Wow. It's been really long time since I have updated anything. But I have been working with good-old-Stormy meanwhile and there has been plenty of improvements. Such as that the engine is now in one piece and attached to the frame.

I needed to get the valve clearance done in a workshop. To organize that I needed to call 5 different workshops and the end result was that I needed to push the Black One on trailer and drive over 100km for the only workshop who had the clearance kit available. Not good, not nice, not cheap but it is done so everything is now set for the grande finale. :thumbup:

Everything seems to be going relatively smoothly if you forget the cold weather (-4 so there is -2 in the garage) and the mysterious tubes I encountered... Since I didn't remove the components myself, it is quite much work to find out which tube and wire goes where. :eh:

I believe I figured out almost all with the workshop manual and got the most of the tubes and wires as they are supposed to go. At this moment there is only one tube which I have no clue where it is supposed to go.

The tube is connected openly on the right inner side of the frame, so it is some kind of breathing/airing tube. It has a t-connector as seen in the image. It is not very thick, maybe 8mm or so. Where are these two ends going to be connected?

:confused :confused

And for a reference, here is not-so-focus image of the current status.
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for the update. Going by the size of that pipe (tube :wink: ) and as there is a T piece in it, well that suggests to me that it is some kind of vacuum pipe. Either a take off for either carb balancing/syncing or a chain oiler that requires a vacuum feed to work.

As standard you will have the one vacuum running from the rear cylinder near the rear carb inlet rubber to the petcock diaphragm. The front would normally be capped off. So I would eliminate that extra tube you have, unless it can be used for something like a front vacuum take off for carb balancing.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18430

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside