headlight lamps

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
callam_nffc

Re: headlight lamps

Post by callam_nffc »

What's this relay mod I hear you talk of?
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

==============================Enter the Darkside
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

I thought there was something in the mot regs that said about you cant retro fit hids to vehicles that dont have self adjusting head lights or something
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

TonyW650 wrote:I thought there was something in the mot regs that said about you cant retro fit hids to vehicles that dont have self adjusting head lights or something
doesnt apply to motorcycles ;)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Ckennedy wrote:
benny hedges wrote:dont use hids without projectors if you intend using the bike at night.

they look amazingly bright (and are) but the beam pattern is total toss resulting in youd see further with a bongo match.
ive tried. :thumbdown:

best lighting mod for the storm is a beaver relay kit and 130/95 superbright h4
Is it really that bad? :o I thought that was what the reflector and lens were for
yes its wombles horrible for others mate i have tried it, do not do it

if your going to do it your best getting a H4 HID PROJECTOR taking the headlight apart and fitting that inside

this was on my todo list until the other day when i found the low compression on engine
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

just wondered if anyone else has the twin headlight modification? I didnt buy the headlamp relay kit , but i made my own.lights seem much better ,i was losing 2 volts over the standard harness/switch ect.but is anyone using more than 65/55 watt bulbs in their twin lamps, was going to put in bigger but was worried about the extra heat??
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

benny hedges wrote:dont use hids without projectors if you intend using the bike at night.

they look amazingly bright (and are) but the beam pattern is total toss resulting in youd see further with a bongo match.
ive tried. :thumbdown:

best lighting mod for the storm is a beaver relay kit and 130/95 superbright h4
that was the other one i is looking at :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you will love it!!! be sure to get the ceramic h4 plug with the beaver kit though :thumbup:

i didnt have issues with heat - apart from condensation due to not fitting the rubber cover properly! :Ball Kick:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170572956324? ... 1423.l2649

Hi..to add to the thread I have hade kits from this seller twice, on two different bikes. Good light, plug and play as they say. Had a bit of a fiddle hiding the cables and if I remember correctly the leads could have ben a tad longer. A replacement bulb, which is not only a bulb but comes with a connector is around £30. To fit, remove the original bulb (lamp) , fit the adaptor and insert the new bulb (lamp) into it. The rest is plug up, with a connection to the battery.

The light is tremendous. Same power to low and high beam, it's a wafer thin flap within the bulb which switches up and down for the beam.

Not fitted to my Storm, but it's on my watch list for the future.
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Rampant Lion wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170572956324? ... 1423.l2649

Hi..to add to the thread I have hade kits from this seller twice, on two different bikes. Good light, plug and play as they say. Had a bit of a fiddle hiding the cables and if I remember correctly the leads could have ben a tad longer. A replacement bulb, which is not only a bulb but comes with a connector is around £30. To fit, remove the original bulb (lamp) , fit the adaptor and insert the new bulb (lamp) into it. The rest is plug up, with a connection to the battery.

The light is tremendous. Same power to low and high beam, it's a wafer thin flap within the bulb which switches up and down for the beam.

Not fitted to my Storm, but it's on my watch list for the future.
they are sh1t, yes mega light but an uncontrollable scatter that blinds every Hippo
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

seb421 wrote:
they are sh1t, yes mega light but an uncontrollable scatter that blinds every Hippo
agree. great for daylight riding as they are very bright.
but at night they are as close to useless as is imaginable.
you wont be able to see further than about 30ft, which means your speed will come right down.
the oem sidelight is more use. honestly.

ive got a set in the garage. they were on for 3 days. :thumbdown:

to compare hid vs halogen, they look ok here (if a little blue) this is on the sp2, the standard h7 superbright bulb to your left (right lamp) is a massive difference from oem anyway....
by comparison, an ordinary (non superbright) 60/55 bulb looks very yellow and dim.
thats the 6400 kit - the 10k are waaay too blue.

at night with both hids fitted.

but honestly - trust me... dont bother unless you have fitted projector inners.
easiest way is go a car scrapyard and butcher up some car headlamps and fit them inside the storm shell.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

How about something like this
HID headlight H4 white angel eye rim projector lens

http://bit.ly/109AkiI
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

[youtube][/youtube]
Nice guide to fit projector

and a good site
http://www.retrofitlab.com/projector-ki ... kit-1.html
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

bigspanishmarty wrote:don't laugh, i bought one of these....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-H4-120-LE ... 3373661ab2
it cost me £2.80, its very bright, throws out a decent beam of light, not sure if its legal tho, and i doubt i've done a 1000 miles with it. so for under £3, or £4.50 for two, its worth a punt....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Car-H4-1 ... 35ba8cdc14

me too bsm , great in daylight (a crisp white light) but no use at night the light is just scattered by the reflector there is no focused beam of light for the road. :crazy:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm confused, :confused yes HID's are perfectly legal on bike for MOT but your saying they are no good because of the way the light scatters. So the answer for the scatter is projector lenses. I didn't think projectors where legal as they don't have the high/low beam. So would the answer be to have a the standard lights with an upgraded harness/relay, stick some better bulbs in and get projectors as a additional lighting for use when on dark country lanes or something. A bit like having spot lights. Even better would be to have them wired in to the high beam with an additional switch so the option is there to disable them if needs be. :think:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside