Avast update!

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
sirch345
Site Admin

Avast update!

Post by sirch345 »

Last evening Avast's free anti-virus had an update which required a reboot to complete. That was when it all went wrong, it didn't fully boot up, it went as far as loading two icons in the tool bar then it froze. The only way I could get out of that was by holding the start button in to shut it down, not something that is good for the hard drive I know. Alt + Ctrl +Delete would work nor would right click on the toolbar to bring up task manager, so I didn't have much choice left at that point.

On and off for a good part of to day I've been trying to get Avast to install, but just as you think you've installed it, all of a subdden it gets into this cycle of the BSOD with this warning (see pic below) and then restarts back up on its own, then once everything has reloaded it soon goes back into the same cycle again. I tried to install AVG free anti-virus instead, but no joy with that either, as that wanted a licence key for the free version, plus it still went into the cycle I mentioned above as it did with Avast. I've run CCleaner to remove any thing left over after using the recommended removal tools from Avast and AVG. I have also tried before using those removal tools, Revo uninstaller, to uninstall the anti virus software, but still no luck.

I just about had enough of it now, so if any of you can shed any light on this I'd be a very happy person.

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Avast update!

Post by sirch345 »

There's nothing like answering your own question :lol:

I've now found out this to be a problem that appears to be a confliction between free Avast 8 and free Zone Alarm firewall in Windows XP, and Windows 7 if you have a look online. I ran a crash test analysis which shows Avast to be causing the BSOD:-

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

LOL I said it might be a conflict somewhere, and I don't even use Windblows.

Well done on getting to the bottom of that one Chris. :clap: :clap: :clap: It's sometimes no easy task trying to figure these things out. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Carl :thumbup: computers are great when they are working fine, a bit like most things I guess :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

UPDATE.
For anyone else thinking about using Avast 8 and Zone Alarm Firewall together, all has been fixed by Avast. So no incompatibility issues with using those two together now :D

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Nicely done Chris :thumbup:
So I take it normal service will now be resumed :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal