Black Storm rising

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Trainraider

Re: Black Storm rising

Post by Trainraider »

Piston rings on place. Tonight I will put the pistons into cylinders... Or depending a bit what the service manual says. And only one f-up done there, and I managed to scratch one of the pistons a bit on the side. Should not be anything serious but it will reduce the lifetime of the piston. But it is already on the service limits and the next time the engine is opened, it needs oversize pistons anyway. So until that - it'll do.

But as my memory is like a Swiss cheese I forgot to buy sealing silicone. So I can't actually put the engine together before I have bought that. And on Monday I will take rear wheel to the service that they change all bearings.

[edit] Woohaa! Pistons are in place. And I only lost a slight peel of skin from my thumb with the process. No pain, no gain and blood bounds your soul to your bike. :twisted:
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's a good feeling when you start to get parts back on rather than taking bits off.

Take it easy, and don't forget that when the casing is upside down the left and right hand bearings are the wrong way round...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Thanks Tony.mon. That is good remark. I actually found out the same thing yesterday when I decided to order new bearings.

For my surprise, the front and rear piston bearings have different part codes, so they might be different. And as I needed two different colors it was bit work to actually find out which one is which and which is not the another one... :think:

Well. Another great (expense) thing as well - I got my rear wheel back from the workshop. All 3 bearings changed and the dust sealants as well. It was nice bonus that they cleaned the rim nicely as well. The next step is to buy new drive damping rubbers for the wheel (finally something what is relatively cheap).

I still need to wait couple of components before putting the engine together, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel... (I am just not sure if it is a train...)

And when the engine is back together, I'll start some electric extras. :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well done :clap: Keep up the good work. As you say there is light at the end of the tunnel. But you wont be a Trainraider anymore, you will be riding one. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

It's a small step for me and meaningless leap for a mankind...

but I finally got the pistons on place and new bearings, and now I just need to tighten the bolts and I can actually put the block back together!

One of the piston bearings had a scratch. New one :thumbdown: That's why I didn't tighten up it yet. I was wondering if your advice is to change it, or to just go with it. After all, there is the oiling hole, so it shouldn't make much of a difference...

Problem is that I didn't take the receipt. F-this. I really didn't think there would be something so cardinally wrong with new parts. :thumbdown:
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

After some consideration I am trying to return the bearing.

Now I just have a double trouble, since it has small markings about the installation on the other side, they can just say that: You have scratched it yourself while installing it...

Well, I don't lose anything (but one workshop day) if they don't change it, but I can win if they change it (but then I lose at least a week of workshop time...).

:(
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Depends how deep the scratch is.
Remember that the bearing wears into the correct shape, ad loses a little of the surface to do so, after it's turned over for the first few times when started after the rebuild.
But if it's deep enough to allow the oil that should stay in the bearing to run out under pressure along the crack and reduce the oil pressure, then don't use it.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Depends how deep the scratch is.
Remember that the bearing wears into the correct shape, ad loses a little of the surface to do so, after it's turned over for the first few times when started after the rebuild.
But if it's deep enough to allow the oil that should stay in the bearing to run out under pressure along the crack and reduce the oil pressure, then don't use it.
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Yeah. I am afraid it is too deep. I will try to return it today. This will again delay the rebuild, but if they agree for the change, I can also get new oil ring for the drive axle.

Not that it is leaking or anything, but I think it is worth of changing when the engine is split.

Update:
I returned the bearing. I should have a new one tomorrow. One week delay again :thumbdown:

When I have the bearing I have about one week time to put the bike back together because then I need to move it away... This will mean long nights... But at least I am doing something I enjoy, so this was not an complaint. :)
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

öpThe trouble just keeps boiling doesn't it.

F-word here and some others as well. :x

It seems that I have lost the o-ring from the clutch piston side. :x

It must have dropped when I splitted the engine, and now it is gone.

And I already put the silicone between the engine. So now I need to spend some extra time AGAIN, just for waiting the parts to arrive. I doubt they have those in shelf.

And not only that. I have only 1,5 weeks time to get the bike back to one piece for moving it away. This sucks big time.

Does anyone have a part number for that missing o-ring/seal? That would help a lot because explaining this part for the workshop guy will be a pain measured with a Richter scale.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You can get all the part numbers from here.
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_mo ... od_01=6088

Or here
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... REAR_WHEEL

Hope that helps. Your not having much luck with this re-build.

Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Thanks for Cybercarl about the links. They were helpful.

Of course, after waiting a week to get the o-ring I found the original one... But only after it was already too late. :eh:

Since I finally got the o-ring yesterday, I have actually managed to get ahead with work. Engine looks like an engine again:

But enough for today, I have earned my :beer:

Tomorrow I'll put the engine so far that I can attach it to the frame. On Sunday the bike will be packed to a car and moved to new location. The work will continue with the bike after about a month. Moving and fixing the bike at the same time doesn't really match very well.

But like I said, the bike WILL run again. It has been expensive this far, and it is not over until the old Stormy sings.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That is looking lovely and clean. Good luck with the move. :thumbup:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Getting there....
Where was the seal, still stuck on the rod?

I'd suggest putting the old oil filter on while you fit the engine into the frame, as it's easily damaged wrestling with the lump. :thumbup:
Beer well earned so far, keep it up!