12v power socket

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chric

12v power socket

Post by chric »

12v power socket
Just orderd one for sat nav but where have you lot put yours?
I await wicky with is links :thumbup: can never find them myself :(
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Wicky

Re: 12v power socket

Post by Wicky »

Practically near the headstock/inner fairing where the GPS unit will be fitted would be best.

My Optimate charger socket is nr the battery on the subframe.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

My use may be different to yours. Mine sits under the seat, I use it to power my phone for music or SatNav. when I need it I just pull enough out to either go into a tankbag or a pocket on my jacket. Cable is about a metre long.

I did find that if I leave it dangling, :cool2 a usb car charger will just pull out if you forget and walk away from the bike :roll:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

ive thought about fitting one in the head stock .
using the stem as the earth and fitting an insulated live in the centre some how .
im sure the stem is big enough :idea: .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I plug one onto the end of the optimate connector and the power socket sits under the seat. as I can get to the optimate connector under the tail unit I can conect and disconnect the power socket whenever I want without removing the seat.

one day I will put it onto the relay feed for the heated grips, but I am too lazy

here are the parts you need from maplins

note that you have to make the red wire of the Maplins connector the earth as the optimate is the opposite way round
AMcQ
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Under the seat in the Ulock channel, I have power from that to a satnav mount on the top yoke, but I unplug it under the seat when I'm not using it.
chric

Post by chric »

thanks but it will be from rear to front and permanent with only charger optimate type leads un done when not in use was thinking of hideing cable so not to be seen.
Under seat is full of other bits of tat so dont want that too untidy
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mine's a flying lead for the Optimate cable tied to the fairing stay, and a little brass bracket I made up to hold the 12v socket which sits next to the right hand bolt holding the clocks on.

I have a sheet of 3mm thick carbon fibre to make up a surround round the clocks, holding the 12v socket, Optimate female socket and a switch for the fan for the second rad.
I'll get round to it sooner or later.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Mine's mounted in a little bracket I made up, by the right hand side of the clocks. It's a waterproof socket with an inline fuse, the cable is could up and tied up behind the dash and I'm taking power off the clocks using the screw-in loop connectors so its only powered when ignitions on.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Furrybiker wrote:My use may be different to yours. Mine sits under the seat, I use it to power my phone for music or SatNav. when I need it I just pull enough out to either go into a tankbag or a pocket on my jacket. Cable is about a metre long.

I did find that if I leave it dangling, :cool2 a usb car charger will just pull out if you forget and walk away from the bike :roll:
same here as I don't use it that much.
7057vtr

Post by 7057vtr »

Good advise there guys i was looking at fitting one and good answers which will make it easier to fit