what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

looks alright skyman, at the least it will protect your top yoke from scratching..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh It's times like this I wish I had a dremmel. I only have an angle grinder with small discs but still to big to get in there without catching the yoke. So I reckon it will be out with a cold chisel and hammer. I lined up the outer parts that go in the frame and they look like they will be easy to knock on square. I got some large sockets that will do the trick, so will place the old bits on top and bash them to knock them in.

Skyman, it looks OK same as my cheapie I bought on ebay. I cut around the Honda sign as well. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

wait for me to get back and you can borrow mine, its not often i have a tool that you don't..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh yeh :lol: How long are you in Spain this time then? I will have it done by the time you get back. I'll hopefully have it all done tomorrow one way or another. Got my MOT due in the next couple of weeks :eek2 Then I will be ready to do some work on your bike/s :thumbup:

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Carl, I have a Dremmel with a grinding kit if you can get over to pick it up. If not I can post it but I don't know how much that would cost.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:Yeh It's times like this I wish I had a dremmel. I only have an angle grinder with small discs but still to big to get in there without catching the yoke. So I reckon it will be out with a cold chisel and hammer. I lined up the outer parts that go in the frame and they look like they will be easy to knock on square. I got some large sockets that will do the trick, so will place the old bits on top and bash them to knock them in.

Skyman, it looks OK same as my cheapie I bought on ebay. I cut around the Honda sign as well. :thumbup:

Carl you don't need a Dremel Dude, when Tony did mine he used me bench grinder ! Try a local workshop, car or bike I'm sure they will let you use it for all of about 10 seconds it will take if you ask nicely.

Just carefully grind a flat on one side, as it gets real thin it will crack with the heat that's when you thwack it with a hammer & cold chisel.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for the offer Kev but I want to get it done tomorrow.

Mac you have just given me an idea :idea: I do have some mini grinding wheels and cone bits for a drill. I forgot about those and you have just reminded. Thanks buddy. :thumbup:

Player, that exhaust is another one. I think some of these people are just trying their luck as most people head straight for the bay without doing research first.

playerone

Post by playerone »

cybercarl wrote: Player, that exhaust is another one. I think some of these people are just trying their luck as most people head straight for the bay without doing research first.

deleted the reply and moved it to sales section but your right, if I wanted to pay £250 I'd get a new set with warranty :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Carl,
I always use a 6" angle grinder, a dremmel would be too small and slow!
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Steering bearings and front wheel bearings done. Angle grinder done the trick nicely. Just been out for a quick 5 mile test run and the steering is a little tight, so I will either back off a 1/4 turn or hopefully the bearings will bed themselves in more and loosen off a bit. No more whooshing noise from the wheel bearings. One of them was a bit bust up, so that confirmed it was defo them.

The thing is, as I was tightening it up I could still get a bit of forward and back wobble so tightened a little more until that was gone but now it's a little on the stiff side. A little fiddling with the adjustment is to be expected. Actually I think I will back it off a 1.4 turn tomorrow.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Carl, good work :thumbup:

for taper brgs even a 1/4 turn is huge, and remember when you tighten the steering stem nut it takes out a bit of slack, so you have to compensate for that in the setting.

better to loosen it a bit, as long as there is no clunk under heavy braking they are ok
AMcQ
leelee

Post by leelee »

got the back wheel back from painters tire fitted, vtr rim stickers fitted. soon as get garage back when mum moves into new house will fit wheel, new clocks, front sprocket(down 1, 47 rear), vfr bars, cut fairing back, cbr900 brake res, new rear brake peddle. think thats it ha, :beer: :beer: so should be busy day. :beer:
ride it till the tires fall off then keep going !!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Today I took the front head of the damaged engine :-)
The old head gasket was stuck on so I got out the 240 grit wet and dry and gave it a good hard rubbing .

Only joking wd40 and a cloth and some elbow grease and it cleaned up nicely
And so did the piston
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A nice de-coke. So what are your intentions with it, are you going to rebuild an engine out the two. Have you tried moving the crank now the heads off. You might as well do a bit of light port work while it's all off. Remove the valves, give them a clean up and lightly grind back in. If I was you I would get the cam wheels slotted as well. At least you have something to play with there then, even if it's just to compensate for any cam chain wear. You really will have your timing spot on then. :biggrin

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:A nice de-coke. So what are your intentions with it, are you going to rebuild an engine out the two. Have you tried moving the crank now the heads off. You might as well do a bit of light port work while it's all off. Remove the valves, give them a clean up and lightly grind back in. If I was you I would get the cam wheels slotted as well. At least you have something to play with there then, even if it's just to compensate for any cam chain wear. You really will have your timing spot on then. :biggrin

That's a picture of the APE slotted ones, but it's just about possible to file the slots in standard ones. The sprockets are hard, but not as hard as a file.
You don't need much, 5 degrees either way is plenty.

Light porting is fine, just clean the surfaces and polish, but don't expect much of a performance gain from this. But while you're there you might as well.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.