Carb balancing

General Bike chat
Virt

Carb balancing

Post by Virt »

How much on average does it cost to get carburettors balanced at a garage usually? I've tried ringing the garage we get to do the major things to our bikes but they haven't answered or responded to my emails recently. We were gonna do it ourselves but we can't figure out why and we don't have the time at the moment..
Thanks
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
AMCQ46

Re: Carb balancing

Post by AMCQ46 »

which bike?

A 4cyl takes twice as long as a 2 cyl, but it is easier to get to the carbs.

either way it is less that 1hrs labour, but you should still do it yourself at one of the upcoming workshop days
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

AMCQ46 wrote:which bike?

A 4cyl takes twice as long as a 2 cyl, but it is easier to get to the carbs.

either way it is less that 1hrs labour, but you should still do it yourself at one of the upcoming workshop days
The hornet, the VTR is fine :thumbup:
I'll have a look at when the next meet workshop day is then, but it currently takes about 5+ minutes to get the engine properly warmed up before riding anywhere. Which is a pain as it's only a 15 minute journey to sixth form and back...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

are you trying to speed up the warm up process by balancing the carbs?

I dont know how that will help
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

Well that's what my Dad says is the problem for it taking so long to warm. Either way they're nowhere near being balanced right now and it irritates me that my idle isn't exactly steady and my power isn't smooth, it's currently focused between 1000-2000, 3000-3500 and 6000-7000 revs.. Everywhere else just doesn't do anything it seems :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A garage will be more expensive than what it will cost you to set up once, and then you can do it yourself anytime in 5mins.

Link on Balancing carbs http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p148551

I purchased extra tubing and brass nipples from carbtune http://www.carbtune.com/ I also use the Carbtune pro.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ne#p213235

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Virt wrote:Well that's what my Dad says is the problem for it taking so long to warm. Either way they're nowhere near being balanced right now and it irritates me that my idle isn't exactly steady and my power isn't smooth, it's currently focused between 1000-2000, 3000-3500 and 6000-7000 revs.. Everywhere else just doesn't do anything it seems :lol:
sounds like the carbs need cleaned out not balanced. do the have drain plugs on the bottom of the float bowls?
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just realised your talking about the IL4. I use my carbtune on the fazer. it's a bit more trick than the vtr as the carbs need to be adjusted in a particular order, so refer to a workshop manual. The vacuum takes off should be easy though. :thumbup:

Virt

Post by Virt »

AMCQ46 wrote: sounds like the carbs need cleaned out not balanced. do the have drain plugs on the bottom of the float bowls?
hoo-haa's on the what? They were cleaned out when the restrictor was fitted again in October I believe
cybercarl wrote: Just realise your talking about the IL4. I use my carbtune on the fazer. it's a bit more trick than the vtr as the carbs need to be adjusted in a particular order, so refer to a workshop manual. The vacuum takes off should be easy though. :thumbup:

Oh okay. I've looked into the manual but it says it should be done while the engine is running.. Yet I have to move the tank and EVERYTHING else to get to the carbs in the first place? D;
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

have a look at the link to carb balancing that Carl posted, you will see that I put the petrol tank on backwards on the seat, but you can use any container to hold the fuel as long as you can connect it to the fuel pipes. nick the pertol tank off the lawn mower :lol:
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

Okay, I know I'm gonna break something though :lol: We don't have a lawn, let alone a lawn mower. I'll steal my bro's fuel tank instead, it's 24L.. He won't notice anything has gone :D And then my tank won't get dropped :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Indeed. You should be able to turn the tank around and rest it on the seat with the fuel hoses still attached. Maybe bungee it down as a precaution, you don't want it falling off the seat. Remove air box/filter and you should have access to the adjustment screws with the bike running. You will need a very long screwdriver to get down to the adjustment screws.

On my fazer there are three adjustment screws on springs. One in the centre between the four carbs and one at each end between two carbs. So the one on the ends controls two carbs as apair, so adjust them until they are even and the centre one balance's the two carbs from each end with each other as two pairs. So basically balance each pair and then the centre to balance the pair together Hope that makes sense. It's more than likely the same principle with the Hornet, but you need to find out where the vacuum take off's are and the adjustment screws.

Virt

Post by Virt »

Okay thanks. I'll see if I can have a go at it next weekend then, unless I get a response from the garage and it's quite cheap :)
Cheers
firemink

Post by firemink »

Hi,
I got my local bike shop to balance the carbs. Left the bike with them for the day, 2003 Storm.
They charged me £ 20.00, very reasonable I thought. Doing it yourself isn't that hard but I would have to buy gauges I don't have. Shop is Ireland's in Barnstaple.
Cheers and happy storming!

:thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

firemink wrote:Hi,
I got my local bike shop to balance the carbs. Left the bike with them for the day, 2003 Storm.
They charged me £ 20.00, very reasonable I thought. Doing it yourself isn't that hard but I would have to buy gauges I don't have. Shop is Ireland's in Barnstaple.
Cheers and happy storming!

:thumbup:
Pretty reasonable. even more reasonable if you haven't got carb vac take-offs already in ....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.