Another Facebook scam 25/1/13

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
rollingthunderx2

Another Facebook scam 25/1/13

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

There is a Facebook scam going round, basically saying people can set up a bogus account in your name and post anything they like.

The message requests you to COPY AND PASTE the message onto your wall.

This exploits a loophole in FBook that makes it think the paste is safe,as it comes from your computer.... and can let hackers hijack your account.

The warning IS the scam.
NEVER cut and paste to your pages anything sent to you through FB.
Wicky

Re: Another Facebook scam 25/1/13

Post by Wicky »

link?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
geodude

Post by geodude »

Not seen anything about this on https://www.facebook.com/SophosSecurity They are usually all over FB scams like a rash. It's well worth a like imo.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
rollingthunderx2

Message says
"Please be careful: some hackers have found something new apparently. They take your profile picture & your name and create a new FB account. Then they ask your friends to add them. Your friends think it is you, so they accept. From that moment on they can say and post whatever they want under your name.
Please don't accept a second friendship demand from me, I have only 1 personal FB account.
Copy n paste this on your wall to keep others safe"

Its not on FB Sophos yet, its a new one,they aren't so hot, there was a scam about horses needing rehoming the other week, despite the scammers using a prime rate tel.No charging £8/min it was going round for 2 weeks.Which is not, IMHO "all over FB scams like a rash."....

Copying and pasting from a message onto your wall lets FB think its safe as it comes from your computers cut, so can expose a loophole for hackers.Other scams use this also.See the anti-scam sites I have below.
If it says "cut and paste" Don't.
Its the use of that that's the giveaway, why not just say "share".. :? .. because you have to C&P .
These are the hoax finders I use.
http://www.hoaxorfact.com
http://www.snopes.com/
http://www.hoax-slayer.com

Or you could ignore my warning and cut and paste, let me know how you get on..... :eh:
Last edited by rollingthunderx2 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

How did you hear of the original scam and the warning? Facebook? Are you passing on an unsubstantiated FB rumour?

Dec 2012 Facebook "pirates" are copying other user's profiles http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/pirates.asp

So have I got this right - your saying if I copy paste that warning message on my FB wall it'll make me vulnerable to being hacked - just because I copy pasted :confused :confused and no one else knows about it at all??

re. Cut&pasting
Other scams use this also.
What other scams?
Last edited by Wicky on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

rollingthunderx2

It has all the makings, scaremongering, a need to get in touch with your friends, a degree of truth, useless reasoning..how will copying this stop anyone making a false account? and the punchline...cut and paste.

The last one I got from the same source was about criminals throwing eggs/paper / sticking a note on your car rear window..that REALLY happened in Newcastle,, yeh sure, its been around a while...

Or last week, wash your dogs paws after being on the road as there is antifreeze in the salt and grit. No there fkn is'nt.......But antifreeze IS poisonous to dogs..half truth and lies to make people pass it on...............WHY????? :twisted:

I particularly like the ones..If you pass this on we will donate £1 to help save a burnt baby/deformed little Indian girl/whale etc etc. :(
How can they possibly know whether you passed it on :?: :idea:
But at least they are just emotionally manipulating some idiots to make them pass it on........
Not scammers trying to hijack your account...by telling you your account may be hijacked..... :Banned: :lol:

Ps "what other scams use this" any that try and get you to cut and paste a message they have sent you.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

rollingthunderx2 has your account been hacked as you are posting a warning not to cut n paste messages "scaremongering, a degree of truth, useless reasoning" - then saying don't do what your doing... :confused
The last one I got from the same source was about criminals throwing eggs/paper / sticking a note on your car rear window..that REALLY happened in Newcastle,, yeh sure, its been around a while...
Claim robbers are flinging eggs at cars to impair deivers' vision to force them to stop FALSE http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/eggthrow.asp

Snopes could be wrong - Have you a link to a local news piece that reports that robbers are using that tactic in Geordieland?
Last edited by Wicky on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rollingthunderx2

I didnt cut and paste. :D
What I'm saying is dont pass that warning about fake profiles as it wants you to cut and paste, as that is a bad idea.
The Fake facebookwarning message is just that ..a fake.

Is this too complicated? :whatever
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Right your copy pasting a message warning to 'copy paste', but telling us not to copypaste the warning to anyone else - right

What about this bit you added at the end "This exploits a loophole in FBook that makes it think the paste is safe,as it comes from your computer.... and can let hackers hijack your account."

How does copypasting specifically let hackers hijack my PB account, if on the off chance I should copy paste your or anyones' warning rumours. Have you verified this vulnerability or are you passing on another rumour?
rollingthunderx2 wrote:I didnt cut and paste. :D
What I'm saying is dont pass that warning about fake profiles as it wants you to cut and paste, as that is a bad idea.
The Fake facebookwarning message is just that ..a fake.

Is this too complicated? :whatever

rollingthunderx2

You did'nt read my post, I said......."I did'nt copy and paste" ........:wtf:

You can copy and paste whatever you like, just not that type of scam. Telling you to cut n paste..why not just "share" :?:

Of course...why would anyone pass on that FB warning crap anyway :?:

I don't.
Last edited by rollingthunderx2 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

So did you copy type all this when you wrote - or did you copy&paste this??

Message says
"Please be careful: some hackers have found something new apparently. They take your profile picture & your name and create a new FB account. Then they ask your friends to add them. Your friends think it is you, so they accept. From that moment on they can say and post whatever they want under your name.
Please don't accept a second friendship demand from me, I have only 1 personal FB account.
Copy n paste this on your wall to keep others safe"

Can you please tell me where this originally appeared, and who it was from (are they a computer security expert?) >"This exploits a loophole in FBook that makes it think the paste is safe,as it comes from your computer.... and can let hackers hijack your account." a

and how specifically copy and pasting messages in FB will allow FB accounts to be hacked.
Last edited by Wicky on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rollingthunderx2

I typed it.

Heres another thats been going round lately.
http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Scams/faceboo ... -scam.html
rollingthunderx2

AMISH.F32

Your system is now infected with the Amish.F32 virus. Since we don't use electricity please activate the virus manually by deleting all your files, and help the virus propagate by mailing it to all your friends.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Copy and pasting is never a good idea as it can contain hidden code behind it just like when you sometimes copy and paste from a website it sometimes copies the formatting along with it. The same with images, things can be hidden inside an image. In fact it's a good way off having a private conversation with someone as long as they have the software to view/decrypt it. It's probably along the same lines of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside