Exhaust stud removal!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mattster

Re: Exhaust stud removal!

Post by mattster »

sirch345 wrote: For future reference anyone going to use an arc welder for this process, you should at least disconnect the earth lead from the battery before you start, even better disconnect the alternator as well.

Chris.
+1!

Definitely... To be sure I didn't knacker my electrics, I removed the battery, disconnected the alternator and both black boxes at the rear of the subframe..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good man :clap: it's a lot cheaper to spend a few minutes disconnecting those items rather than having to replace them,

Chris.
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Just thinking, what's the views on using brass nuts on the exhaust studs. You wouldn't get the same bother as alloy nuts corroding onto the stud.
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rampant Lion wrote:Just thinking, what's the views on using brass nuts on the exhaust studs. You wouldn't get the same bother as alloy nuts corroding onto the stud.
That's probably not a bad idea actually (re: the brass nuts). I remember in the past working on some cars that had brass nuts holding the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head. Iirc the stud part had finer threads on it where the brass nut screwed on, so you would need proper exhaust studs rather than just using bolts that screw into the cylinder head.

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Like Chris has said, you will need a longer brass nut to compensate for the lower strength of material to ensure you dont strip the threads in the brass.
AMcQ
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Just reassemble with coppa slip, been doing it for years and even exhaust bolts come off my green lane bikes like they were only put on last week. All the same advantages of brass studs or nuts but with the strength of stainless.

Tip for drilling out bolts is to use a left hand twist drill, like all drills these grab as you drill and you usually tend to undo the bolt a little whiles after you start drilling. If you have a short stub left over put a nut on the stub and use it as a guide for the drill.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bluestoesonnose wrote:Just reassemble with coppa slip, been doing it for years and even exhaust bolts come off my green lane bikes like they were only put on last week. All the same advantages of brass studs or nuts but with the strength of stainless.

Tip for drilling out bolts is to use a left hand twist drill, like all drills these grab as you drill and you usually tend to undo the bolt a little whiles after you start drilling. If you have a short stub left over put a nut on the stub and use it as a guide for the drill.
The heat from the drilling helps to break the seal too.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

If you're building up that much heat then go sharpen your drill bits and use some lube
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Lube :-) fir fir
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lloydiecbr wrote:Lube :-) fir fir
Why would you want to lube fir ?

Is that fir as in fir tree ? Now we all should be very worried.

Anyhoo I thought frogs were naturally slimy / lubed. :confused
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

MacV2 wrote:
it would be more disturbing if he wanted to lube fur :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

benny hedges wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
it would be more disturbing if he wanted to lube fur :think:

Exactly !

I think what he meant was...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

:silent: :bondage: