thinking about doing a bit of off roading!

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Re: thinking about doing a bit of off roading!

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes, you have hit the main problem with GreenLaning in the UK.........it has become too popular and the "not in my back yard" types who have just bought that nice barn conversion in the country are getting the lanes closed in the suburban areas. that then forces the hoards off into Wales or Yorkshire and eventually they cut those lanes up so badly that they get closed as well :(

and just the same as with roadbikes in the popular biking areas, there a a few knobs out there on big loud enduro bikes who love to ride round at full throttle past walkers and roosting them with dirt.........so even those who didnt have a problem with sharing the lanes with motorised vehicles are now becoming anti-bikes!
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

There might not be many ByWays but there are a few unmade roads

http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk/map.aspx?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
geodude

Post by geodude »

geodude wrote:There might not be many ByWays but there are a few unmade roads

http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk/map.aspx?
Change activity to "Motorists"
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

i know the area well and theres a few public footpaths that i'd probably get away with riding on. where i stay you might see a copper maybe once a year lol, but sappose all it takes is one dog walker to report me and they would set up a military operation to catch me lol.

and i reckon the lack of landscape would start to frustrate me as i got better, becuase they whole of lincolnshire is fllllaaaaatttt.

i know theres a big motocross track up by melton mowbray, dont know if its open to the pulic though
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I was also going to say that it is another reason to go for Trials rather than greenlaning, but then I remembered that you still need a way to get the bike to the competition.........you can use a bike rack on the back of the car rather than a trailer, but you still need a towbar to fit the rack to.
AMcQ
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

What about the viking way? Goes from gates of RAF Waddington to Melton Mowbrary, I used to ride it a lot, plus lots of routes between Sleaford and Boston as well as Horncastle, Bardney way. Just watch out for the gypsies who set up camp on these routes. Between Wadddington and Sleaford way too, there are routes in south Lincs its just they are not obvious.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

alternative_vtr wrote:What about the viking way? Goes from gates of RAF Waddington to Melton Mowbrary, I used to ride it a lot, plus lots of routes between Sleaford and Boston as well as Horncastle, Bardney way. Just watch out for the gypsies who set up camp on these routes. Between Wadddington and Sleaford way too, there are routes in south Lincs its just they are not obvious.

sounds like your in the know. if i get one i'll be pestering you for some maps :thumbup:
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

No worries, I used to live near Claypole :) used to ride all round that area. You need a Landranger Ordnance survey map, I think its either Pink or Orange coloured map, it shows all the routes (rupps, boats etc etc)
Here you go http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=TVjKp87p ... pxII&gl=GB
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
geodude

Post by geodude »

alternative_vtr wrote:No worries, I used to live near Claypole :) used to ride all round that area. You need a Landranger Ordnance survey map, I think its either Pink or Orange coloured map, it shows all the routes (rupps, boats etc etc)
Here you go http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=TVjKp87p ... pxII&gl=GB
Pink for landranger :P

I prefer to take explorer maps (orange) but you may need to carry more than one :)