how many of you home bois are commuting this winter?

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Re: how many of you home bois are commuting this winter?

Post by VTRDark »

As far as snow goes, Avoid. If not take it at walking pace with both legs out ready to stabilise, Make use of tracks made by car tyres, then when you get on to roads that have been gritted stay in the non snowy parts and take it easy.
As far as winter riding goes if it's only short 10min journeys then you should be fine, but the worst thing about winter is the cold. Cold is a danger and you concentration will go tits up as you body goes into survival mode. Even breathing in icy cold air can hurt your lungs and stuff, so when it's below zero wear a neck/face mask, wear warm gloves (Gortex is my choice) long johns are a must and use a layering system to keep warm. 70mph at about minus 1 will have a winchill factor of something silly like minus 30. So at minus 5 and more you getting into arctic conditions at higher speeds. Hyperthermia is reality. So unless your like the rest of us crazy people that go out in all weathers stay at home wrapped up nice and warm with a hot water bottle :lol: I have had icecles on my gloves near enough in the past and frostbitten fingers, it's not fun, but where needs be, then so be it. Warm your hands at every opportunity on the engine or exhaust and enjoy farting as creates a moment of warmth :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

bigspanishmarty wrote:what about finding some cheap but tatty fairing to put on the bike thru winter, at least if the worst happens you can put yr good fairings back on...
that's if you haven't been squashed by a lorry :thumbup: :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

I use my other toy when it gets white:

'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cybercarl wrote:As far as snow goes, Avoid. If not take it at walking pace with both legs out ready to stabilise
from experience ive found by doing that the bike is more likely to go from under you, sideways :/
hate getting caught in car ruts - especially when you have fresh snow on top of ice :thumbdown:
cant bloody steer at all lol, bike just follows the ruts
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

benny hedges wrote:
cybercarl wrote:As far as snow goes, Avoid. If not take it at walking pace with both legs out ready to stabilise
from experience ive found by doing that the bike is more likely to go from under you, sideways :/
hate getting caught in car ruts - especially when you have fresh snow on top of ice :thumbdown:
cant bloody steer at all lol, bike just follows the ruts

i wont be going to work in the freakin snow! you crazy lol. when the roads are really that bad i'll just have the day off, not worth it, i'd be gutted if i dropped her :thumbdown:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Xenocide has got the right idea, get out in the old lightweight. If anything blocks the road then winch it out the way. You still have to wrap up warm as they are not the warmest of vehicles :lol:

StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Been there, done that, come off :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It seems sticking your legs out don't work then as stabilisers to catch you falling. Maybe the answer is to keep the momentum up and go faster :lol: I have always managed to catch my foot on the ground to stop the bike from sliding from underneath. I guess I have been lucky.

I wonder why no one has designed snow chains for motorbikes. Or even better would be some kind of stabilisers that could be attached to the bike with skis on instead of wheels :idea:

seb421

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:It seems sticking your legs out don't work then as stabilisers to catch you falling. Maybe the answer is to keep the momentum up and go faster :lol: I have always managed to catch my foot on the ground to stop the bike from sliding from underneath. I guess I have been lucky.

I wonder why no one has designed snow chains for motorbikes. Or even better would be some kind of stabilisers that could be attached to the bike with skis on instead of wheels :idea:

I did link to some good videos few month back of a BMW with skis on the front either side drifting around in the snow

Sent from my mobile telephone
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

Hi guys iv been looking for a 300cc + triles bike or similar a like the look of the Suzuki 800 big i looks like a rite beast. Iv got me storm stripped down at the mo doing a good bit of tarting up on her, stuff like the fork lowers and front sub frame. Iv taken me time and theyv come up great :thumbup:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Looks like a handy winter bike - similar in some ways to Yamaha BW 200/350 Big Wheel but this Italjet uses a 45bhp, 750cc single-cylinder engine. It'd be even better if it had two-wheel drive for when it snows.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.