silly prices...

General Bike chat
agentpineapple

silly prices...

Post by agentpineapple »

i noticed this bike on ebay today, bog standard, slow red f-2 late model with under 16k on the clocks....only £1895!!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 1c2d4ba325
and thats from a dealer :eek2 , who would probably knock £100 off if you pushed them, that is crazy cheap, some one will get a bargain thatsfor sure, but my point is what does this do to the value of say a t-reg 1999 bike with say 30k on the clock, unless your bike is spotless and in tip top condition you'd struggle to make decent money for it :(
firestorms are really difficult to judge when it comes to value, personally condition of the bike is more important then year/mileage, but on this evidence my bikes worth about 20p, and probably less if it wasn't blue.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Re: silly prices...

Post by VTRDark »

Bad time of year to be selling bikes. That's why I think that one is that price. I don't think it's silly cheap, if that was a private sale it would be about the right price. Well maybe a couple of hundred more, but it's this time of year, bargains to be had. Later models don't = more value, condition of bike, mileage and luck = value :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

There are a few bargains but there are also a few that want top money and don't understand when people don't want to pay it.
I was watching a streetfightered storm on fleebay. it only reach £800 and didn't sell. I offered £800 on the phone. But it was put back on with a starting price of £1000 and didn't get 1 bid. Told the seller i'm still prepared to pay £800 because that's what I think it's worth. If I have to pay more I've been trying to descide weather to wait and spend a bit more on something like the one shown above.

I don't know what to do????????????????? :confused
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cybercarl wrote:Bad time of year to be selling bikes.
used bike market is dead anyway tbh.
especially in the over 2k market which is why this is priced to sell.
mate buys and sells and tries to stick to the low end of the market but its hard to make a profit on 10yr+ bikes as a sole trader so you can imagine how hard it is trying to pay for premises as well when the market is so stale.

he buys bikes for peanuts though - he had a cracking 05 1250 bandit the other day, absolutely mint with all the toppings - not my cup of tea like but he offered it me for 2k. if i had the spare cash i wouldve bought it.
and a lovely rizzla gixxer thou for 2300, very low miles, 05 again.
where the fok does he find them lol! 8O

there'll be even more bargains popping up as it gets nearer crimbo - and just after.
historically the best time to buy a bike is jan / feb - if the buyer wasnt desperate to sell they'd hang on to it for a few mths til silly season innit :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

buy the best cleanest low mileage bike you can afford, if its got some good extras (hugger/fender extender. finned reg/rec, sorted cct's)then thats a bonus, if that bike above is what it looks like then its a bargain.
i've bought cheap and it ends up being a money pit :(
if i had my time again, i'd be going for that bike, plus its fire engine red.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh youre better off with one that hasnt been modded imo and low miles, dealer serviced.
check for the obvious like tyres, chain n sprox then you know the owner has looked after it.

you do still find good ones now and then what's been garaged and hardly ridden...
higher miles wouldnt bother me either if its been well maintained - a daily rider is better than one thats been put away dirty at the end of summer and just ragged on sundays....

id be wary of any bike with shedload of owners and daft bling mods cos you know it's been bodged and passed about, probs been on its butt a few times as well :thumbdown:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

is it just me or do v-twins tend to have more previous owners than other types of bike, something to do with owners never having had a twin before, then quickly deciding its not for them and shifting it on sharpish, it wouldn't take long for the previous owners to rack up :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

bigspanishmarty wrote:is it just me or do v-twins tend to have more previous owners than other types of bike, something to do with owners never having had a twin before, then quickly deciding its not for them and shifting it on sharpish, it wouldn't take long for the previous owners to rack up :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Only real men can ride twins. It's a well known fact in my imagination.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:i noticed this bike on ebay today, bog standard, slow red f-2 late model with under 16k on the clocks....only £1895!!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 1c2d4ba325
and thats from a dealer :eek2 , who would probably knock £100 off if you pushed them, that is crazy cheap, some one will get a bargain thatsfor sure, but my point is what does this do to the value of say a t-reg 1999 bike with say 30k on the clock, unless your bike is spotless and in tip top condition you'd struggle to make decent money for it :(
firestorms are really difficult to judge when it comes to value, personally condition of the bike is more important then year/mileage, but on this evidence my bikes worth about 20p, and probably less if it wasn't blue.... :lol:
Thats pretty much the same as my new bike I bought from a dealer. Was advertised at that price and I got it down to £1700. Mine has 30k on it though :think:
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

bigspanishmarty wrote:is it just me or do v-twins tend to have more previous owners than other types of bike, something to do with owners never having had a twin before, then quickly deciding its not for them and shifting it on sharpish, it wouldn't take long for the previous owners to rack up :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Yeah, that's about it in a nut shell, people read and hear how good they are, then when they get one they just can't get settled with it.
If they've only ever had inline fours they just can't seem to get used the torque/engine brake/throttle response and the different way the power is delivered, if they spent a bit of time learning how to ride a V Twin properly they might just enjoy it, but fortunately for us they don't :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Stratman wrote:
Only real men can ride twins. It's a well known fact in my imagination.
That's very much how it goes in my imagination as well, only all the women look like Kelly Brook and are naked!!!! :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

The motorcycle market is a strange one, nothing like the car market. I think the problem with sports V Twins is that they are like marmite, you either hate them or love them, the VTR10000 Is probably the worst victim because they are worth less than the sum of their parts and not desirable for a lot of people, if you're buying then they are a real bargin.

On the other end of the spectrum, my Harley davidson Sportster 1200 Custom, I could sell it everyday for silly money, twice as much as the storm.

Which is one of the reasons I done the swap, I would have really liked to keep that Firestorm I had it how I wanted, but the offer was too good to turn down.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can understand that, you can buy another one for peanuts, and if you keep looking, one with loads of desirable bits already added.
Then you sell the non-std parts for what you paid for the bike and put it back to std.
Then you wait until Spring and sell the now-std bike for £1800.

Easy money.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kenzo

Post by kenzo »

The bike in question does look like a good buy, and certainly many of you think so. I have been to see it and it does not warrant the description of excellent in my opinion. You may disagree but - corroded lower forks, corrosion breaking through black paint on both wheels, both fairings broken around the indicator mountings, broken indicator, blowing exhaust ( pointed out but judged acceptable according to last MOT ) and a decdedly sad looking chain. 16000mile service doesnt appear to have taken place. The rev counter is white unlike others I have seen, and the engine covers are black rather than the bronze colour on other bikes of this age. Perhaps its a Grey Import? Anyway, didnt buy it and owner has refused to give me my deposit back - although he says he might change his mind - I'll let you know if he does. I notice that he offers to deliver bikes and take them back if you dont think they are as described. No mention of what monies have changed hands prior to delivery or whether you get any of that back. He's got to come home whether he has sold bike or not so returning is hardly a favour! Oh well, its the motor trade I guess.
Have bought 2004 bike in immaculate condition for a bit more money and am looking forwrad to finding out about VTRs.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

kenzo wrote:The bike in question does look like a good buy, and certainly many of you think so. I have been to see it and it does not warrant the description of excellent in my opinion. You may disagree but - corroded lower forks, corrosion breaking through black paint on both wheels, both fairings broken around the indicator mountings, broken indicator, blowing exhaust ( pointed out but judged acceptable according to last MOT ) and a decdedly sad looking chain. 16000mile service doesnt appear to have taken place. The rev counter is white unlike others I have seen, and the engine covers are black rather than the bronze colour on other bikes of this age. Perhaps its a Grey Import? Anyway, didnt buy it and owner has refused to give me my deposit back - although he says he might change his mind - I'll let you know if he does. I notice that he offers to deliver bikes and take them back if you dont think they are as described. No mention of what monies have changed hands prior to delivery or whether you get any of that back. He's got to come home whether he has sold bike or not so returning is hardly a favour! Oh well, its the motor trade I guess.
Have bought 2004 bike in immaculate condition for a bit more money and am looking forwrad to finding out about VTRs.
Kenzo, welcome to the club, sad that your initial experience has been a bit frustrating and you have lost money. keep us informed on getting a refund
AMcQ