Pinking !

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rustos

Pinking !

Post by rustos »

My storm has just started to knock just off idle to about 3 grand...

the bike seems happy enough to rev, no poping on the over-run, no spitting back, and its not the bloody cam chains ether :lol: I know what that sounds like !
markg

Post by markg »

I'm only going by my own experiences but it does sound a bit like the carbs are out of sync although mine done it from tickover to about 2000rpm.
Balanced the carbs and it was fine,hope this helps :wink:
victor

Pinking

Post by victor »

Hi rustos
You could try adjusting the throttle position sensor as they seem to generally be factory set incorrectly,to high a reading and the timing will be advanced(not sure by how much) but this will cause pinking. It's not easy but worth the effort.Reading other threads on this,everyone who has done it has had to file the adjusting slots out to allow it to move enougth.

Victor
rustos

Post by rustos »

Thank's people

I balanced the carbs like markg recomended; It still knocks a little....

But what i did notice is the clutch making a far old racket, it could be that iam picking up on.

Whats this about the TPS; what value should it read ?

Today iam going to try BP advance super unleaded or shell optimax or even pro boost with it !
markg

Post by markg »

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here mate but not intended that way.
I've noticed on a few of my bikes with a lot of clutch rattle that when you pull the lever in with the engine running the noise goes away.At least if you do this you can here if you still have a knocking noise.
rustos

Post by rustos »

Hi markg

The clutch doe's rattle a bit, but clears up when pulled in so thats Ok...

Still got the ruddy knock-knock-knock :lol: Even with super unleaded,

I took my bike to the local honda dealer, explaned the sound i heard but before i could finsh he said "dont tell me it's coming from the rear pot"....

No its coming from both pots; Ah he said it could be the carb slides rattling
Whats the milege ? about 9000 ish I tell him.

Oh yes your carbs are worn-out mate !

I dont bloody think so ! So he checks my bike out Its got good oil pressure, the chain is'nt draging on the ground, carbs balanced well, ignition timing spot-on, nothing falling off, even the honda tool kit was removed as it could clunk about !

3 hours later i get a phone call "could find anything wrong mate, i think thay all do it !"

What a wast......I know twins are a little clunky i did have a TL1000 once but this is getting silly
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

could be your helmets too big !!!! :roll:
it may be clever, but its not big.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

check the HT lead connections at the coils and the caps, check that the lead has not burnt back inside and that it is on tight. If it's loose then cut 8mm off it, spread the cores and screw the cap back on. Also check the top of the ht caps where the bends are as it should be solid inside and if it's been taken off (pulled at an angle) wrong then the cap snaps inside and is just held on by the outer rubber. It will seem fine but miss under load and vibration.
Del.