K&N questions

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

K&N questions

Post by mik_str »

I own a 1999 Firestorm which is basically stock engine-wise. I was looking at the possibly of adding a set of slip-ons but recently learned that police forces here in Quebec, Canada, are apparently set to begin doing decibel checks of bikes (thank you all you lovely Harley types!!!!) so I think I may hold off on this until I see how things develop. In the interim, I am seeking a little boost in performance and so will be dropping the gearing slightly by going to a 43 teeth rear sprocket. I was wondering if switching to a K&N air filter would provide me with a slight gain in power (hoping for something in the mid-range if possible)? If so, would any jetting changes be required (shimming needles?). Thanks in advance.

Micky
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

You MIGHT get away with it, its hard to say
As standard the Storm comes out of the factory running pretty rich so you are not gonna be massively too lean fitting the K&N.
HOWEVER
To get the boost you want (particularly in the mid-range) you will probably end up having to get it setup on a dyno

But its worth it though!
Here's a link to dyno charts showing mine before and after dyno setup with a Pipercross filter - compared to Geoff who had a K&N filter and stage 3 dynojet kit (no dyno setup, just installed the kit)

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... ce%20cans)

Ben