Deleting Choke Cables

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
flexibledoor69

Deleting Choke Cables

Post by flexibledoor69 »

Hi guys,

its been a long road so far regarding replacing valves, and unfortunately the choke nuts have snapped off both carbs (someone hit me).

to get it started up is there any problem with removing the chokes entirely from the carbs and blanking off the port where the plastic nut screws into? I need to get her running for a rego check and I plan to install a dynojet kit in the future so I can replace the chokes then.

WIll blanking off the choke ports do any long term damage? I can't think that it will but I should ask anyway

Cheers
Wicky

Re: Deleting Choke Cables

Post by Wicky »

Help--broke off plastic choke fitting on carb >>

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... post320073

or look at getting a cheap set of carbs from fleaby

or http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... 046MBB640/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't think you can run the bike properly without the choke connected. It would be like running with the choke on all the time. Where the cable is attached to the carbs there is a little pin held by a non tensioned spring. When you pull the choke knob out it pulls back on the spring which release the pin giving you more fuel. So without the choke cables that pin would not be there causing the bike to run as if the choke is on.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
flexibledoor69

Post by flexibledoor69 »

Ah, ok so the way the choke works is that if the needle is pulled out of its slide then that is the choke on, but if its pushed all the way in then its off? makes sense I didn't think of it that way.

The replacement part hunt intensifies. Davids looks good but delivery to Aus will be a pain. Local fleabay looks like a goer if the local wreckers dont' have the fittings.

Cheers!
flexibledoor69

Post by flexibledoor69 »

So have done a mad bodgy job to I have a bike on the road for the rest of the week.

Removed the choke cables entirely, pulled out the plunger pin for both carbs and then sealed them in with copious amounts of copper gasket goo 8O

Im not too fussed as carbs are soon to come out for a freshen up and a stage 1 dynojet kit so I will re-install proper choke cables when its all apart on the bench.

On the plus side apart from being hard to start and needing a long warmup, he rides fine and the choke blanking off seems to be doing the trick.
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

If you have trouble getting replacement nuts for your carbs, give me a shout as I may be able to help.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?