Clutch slip

General Bike chat

Clutch slip

Post by Image »

My clutch is beginning to slip a bit. At the moment it's only at 7000 revs and above on uphill gradients. Is there any way I can adjust it or will I just have to get a new clutch?
I changed the engine oil recently and used car oil not bike oil although it was the same viscosity. As the storm has a wet clutch, could this be causing the slip?
Wicky

Re: Clutch slip

Post by Wicky »

First - Flush the old car oil out and use recommended 10W/40 Semi-synth motorcycle oil - cheaper than a new a clutch, and gaskets and coolant and...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I agree with wicky, I even found that halfords motorcyle oil left me with clutch slip! But castrol brought it back to normal :thumbup:
AMcQ

Post by Image »

Thanks for that. It is 10W/40 Semi-synth but it's for a car not bike. I'll swap the oil. I may as well do a filter change while I'm at it.

Post by Image »

Had given to me today some Silkolene fully synthetic 10w 40 motorcycle oil so did a total oil change. Hoping full synthetic will do as well as semi.
I didn't use a flush as I had a mishap with one bike on that so I drained sump, filled it to a quarter with the new oil, ran it 5 minutes, drained it and then filled it to top with new oil. Here's hoping it works :)
matinik46

Post by matinik46 »

your clutch is going to slip again.
like said before, use recomended semi synthetic and change the filter.
car oil does not contain the anti slip properties for wet clutches.
and fully synth is possible too slippery? for the storm.
hope this helps

Post by Image »

Hope you're wrong but thanks. Too wet today to check but will give it a good rag up a steep hill tomorrow.

Post by Image »

Thanks. Yep clutch still slipped with full synth although not as bad as it did with the car oil. Semi-synth bike oil 10/40 in it now and much better. Still slips a tad if I really rag it high revs but I've been told it'll take a while for all remnants of the old oil to come off the clutch plates. Also I havn't changed the oil filter yet. Still much better though :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you haven't changed the filter there will still have been at least half a litre of the old oil in the engine.
Best bet is to treat this lot as a flush and change filter then fill with fresh 10/40 semi synth.
You'll need four and a half litres.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

Car oil as said here is terrible for bikes, will cause slip, done it myself put castrol gtx in to get home as my sump plug wasnt done up properly, didnt change the filter still slipped, this will contaminate the clutch plates and if changed to proper oil and filter will still take a while to work properly again, these polymer thingys you see....but fully synthetic dont be afraid I use full synhetic 5w40 from halfords 5 litres not a 4l one for about £30....my 30k miler loves it and there is no, none, zippo slippo.
She told me she was 16.

Post by Image »

Yep, I changed to proper bike semi oil and have noticed an improvement but it still slips a little, usually at sudden high revs. I guess it'll take a while for the car stuff to work its way out.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, or fit a 2nd hand friction plate set.
I'll have a spare set somewhere if you can't find any.
The upgrade to Kevlar is worthwhile, though. EBS have some, I seem to remember.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.