Swing arm and brace

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TonyW650

Swing arm and brace

Post by TonyW650 »

I not sure if its been asked but.
Ive been looking at doing the brace on my swing arm, question I have has anyone cut the brace and chain adjusters off the fire blade and tried to fit the lot onto the storm arm?
As was looking at a 93-94 blade arm and I prefer the chain adjusters on the and was just wondering if the whole lot could be used as opposed to just the brace?
Kev L

Re: Swing arm and brace

Post by Kev L »

I am sure if you throw enough money/work at it you could have anything your heart desires. I used the brace on mine and that works fine and was a relatively easy mod. You would need to really trust whoever does your welding on the chain adjuster section.
Good luck mate, if you do it take some piccies to amuse the boys. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You could do, however the solid block at the adjuster end is welded onto a hollow rectangular-section tube and the dissimilar metal thicknesses make the job more tricky.
Why not just have the Storm SA rear section machined to take different adjusters?

And there are some bling ones available, but they're about £100 last time I looked.
It might cost you that in welding, though...
Last edited by tony.mon on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

You could look at an early Yam R1 brace, as I did a few years ago before I changed the swinger to a VFR800 sigle sider. You can then fit a really tidy R1 hugger.

Wouldn't risk having different chain adjusters fitted though - don't see the point.
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Does that allow you to keep the original caliper mount or do you have to mod that aswell?
and if you can remember how early R1 please as I like that
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Blimey, the brace was done so long ago I can't remember exactly what caliper mods were required. Pic below will show you though - underslung, torque arm added (stainless, rose jointed), torque arm bracket on swingarm underside.

From memory it was an early R1 brace, from a 2000 or 2001. The one with the tidy little hugger that bolts on top of the brace.