Carbon Fibre wrap...

General Bike chat
Ckennedy

Carbon Fibre wrap...

Post by Ckennedy »

I have a red vtr 1998 and looks amazing. But I do not really like the silver frame and powder coating is expensive. Plus it looks a bit plain. Was thinking about doing the whole frame and forks in carbon wrap. Some of the frame has surface rust as well. Want to tidy it up and make it stand out a bit. What do people think to the carbon wrap idea and is it worth it? Also how much do you think I would need?

All advice is welcome as I have been thinking about this for a while but have not taken the plunge yet.

ATB
Ckennedy
agentpineapple

Re: Carbon Fibre wrap...

Post by agentpineapple »

hi mate
i've carbon wrapped a few things and i've even tinkered with wrapping a spare frame, tbh to get a good finish you would need the frame out and then i'd give it a bloody good clean getting rid any oil/grease/dirt, then i'd paint it satin black, using simonz tough black rattle can, the reason for this is to cover the welds, because if you go over the welds with wrap it will look rubbish, so you'd stop just short of the welds but the painted welds will blend well with the wrap. its gonna be tough tho, some of the angles are tough but its got the possibility of looking very good, make sure you match the angle of the wrap :roll: otherwise it will look naff.
make sure you heat the wrap up when going around difficult angles, just get as much practise in as possible, i reckon 1 metre by 2 metres will be enough, remember to cut a big enough piece of wrap off, you'd be surprised how easy a mistake it is to make, good luck with it mate and don't forget to post pictures of our progress :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

The biggest problem I have is removing everything from the bike to leave just the frame :( It would have been a case of removing the panels and tank and working round this, making life a lot harder. Something I would like to do but do not want to make a mess of it. Has to look good.

ATB
Ckennedy
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it will be tough to do without removing the engine buddy, good luck with it :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!