Storm/Blade Hybrid

General Bike chat
boz

Storm/Blade Hybrid

Post by boz »

I just aint getting on with this Blade I bought last month, we just aint bonding. Don't know what it is, apart from it being a licence loser!! I'm not going to go in to massive detail but I don't miss my last Storm 100%, although there is a lot of little bits I do miss....engine braking being the most important. I've had a look around and to be honest I can't see another bike I do like enough to buy as is. The closest i've come is the Fazer 1 litre, but that isn't it either.
I'm thinking I gotta work with what I've got. To get the decent 2 pot go back to the VTR but change the bars as I hate clips ons all of a sudden. The engine can be easily juiced up a wee bit, even by me.
Here's the big question. I hated the front end of the Storm and know a lot of you switch things with the Blade. Would it be worth keeping my Blade and using it as a donor bike. I know I'll get the front end off it but are there other bits I could use on a Storm? I'm thinking about the nice 6 spoke wheels for a start. I could pick a cheap Storm up easy but would it be economical to strip out my £1400 Blade without losing a mint on it?
Would would you do. Sell the Blade, buy the Storm and convert or as above?
CBR900rr Fireblade
agentpineapple

Re: Storm/Blade Hybrid

Post by agentpineapple »

most blade front end conversions tend to be the 929/954, if your bike is a 98 or earlier i wouldn't bother mate, sell it for £1400, buy a storm for £1200 and you'd have a few quid left over to fit some k-tech fork springs(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mint-Boxed-Fo ... 3a77b61d2c), fresh fork oil and a coerce fork brace, before you know it the storms front end will be 100 times better.
you can buy a 6 spoke blade rear wheel for 40/50 quid, i just sold a mint one for £35 :roll:
you would need a 17inch front wheel tho, they're a bit more expensive but they pop up all the time, both wheels are a straight swap......simples
Last edited by agentpineapple on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You need a cross between the two.

Some insperation for you.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
boz

Post by boz »

bigspanishmarty wrote:most blade front end conversions tend to be the 929/954, if your bike is a 98 or earlier i wouldn't bother mate, sell it for £1400, buy a storm for £1200 and you'd have a few quid left over to fit some k-tech fork springs(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mint-Boxed-Fo ... 3a77b61d2c), fresh fork oil and a coerce fork brace, before you know it the storms front end will be 100 times better.
you can buy a 6 spoke blade rear wheel for 40/50 quid, i just sold a mint one for £35 :roll:
you would need a 17inch front wheel tho, they're a bit more expensive but they pop up all the time, both wheels are a straight swap......simples
Yeah see what you mean. Mine is a 1999 918cc
CBR900rr Fireblade
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Lloydie has an earlier RWU front end on his which he's happy with. I'm sure he will be along soon enough to fill you in.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

The earlier blade front is good 92-97
It feels very planted .
But yours is a 99 .
Tho the forks are good the 16" front ain't .
And trying to get a 17" in that front end is a challenge all on its own .
Due to the disc spacing being wider .
I'm sure it could be done if you find the correct 17" wheel
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Just buy a Tuono if you want an upright twin that handles like a blade.
Rich.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Boz you mentioned the forks and clip ons, Is there any other parts of the Storm you would like to change/modify?

I wish Honda would actually go ahead and make an updated VTR a sort of a cross-bread between the CBR and VTR maybe a little VFR thrown in as well. And then stick a 1200 V Twin lump in it. There's the VFR 1200 so why don't they make VTR 1200, surely there is a market for them. It just don't make sense to me, apart from them having the SP market.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KTM SMT!
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

AMCQ46 wrote:KTM SMT!
Bloody KTM hooligans, criminal damaging everything as they maraude through the countryside!! :lol:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

cybercarl wrote:I wish Honda would actually go ahead and make an updated VTR a sort of a cross-bread between the CBR and VTR maybe a little VFR thrown in as well

Mean like this... 8)
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Nice looking concept bike, not seen that one before.
:thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hello mate,

Yeh maybe Honda will make it one day. It's like the one I posted that's a prototype VTR1200. That one you have got there looks very futuristic. :thumbup:

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

cybercarl wrote:Hello mate,

Yeh maybe Honda will make it one day. It's like the one I posted that's a prototype VTR1200. That one you have got there looks very futuristic. :thumbup:

That one's been floating about for a few years and looks like a photoshop jobbie. You can see the CBR frame rails as well as the VTR rails.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Kev L wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Hello mate,

That one's been floating about for a few years and looks like a photoshop jobbie. You can see the CBR frame rails as well as the VTR rails.
Would love to have the skills tho to make that for real seen a few plastic weld jobbies, can't be that hard to graft a CBR1000RR front to a storms fairings, there is a lad in the states with a CBR1000RR tail end from an 04 model that looks good

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033