Newbie storm owner

General Bike chat
BigD

Newbie storm owner

Post by BigD »

Just picked up my 1998 storm at weekend. Haven't ridden for 4 years and was a little apprehensive. Needn't have worried though, absolute dream to ride. It is a very standard storm, I don't think the previous owner has done anything to it. I am no good whatsoever with the mechanics etc, all that stuff I will leave to the experts. I'm just gonna ride it!!

The only thing I am thinking of doing is changing the cans for high level ones for sound and appearance. Saw some Art cans on 'Busters' website for £220 and was wondering a) How easy to fit? b) What other bits & bobs would I need?

Does anyone ever go to Rivvy?
Stormin Ben

Re: Newbie storm owner

Post by Stormin Ben »

BigD wrote: Saw some Art cans on 'Busters' website for £220 and was wondering a) How easy to fit? b) What other bits & bobs would I need?
Woah there matey, hold yer horses!!
StormSmasher who frequents this list is in with the Art boys and knocks out these cans at quite a bit less than Busters (and he's a decent bloke too -but does tend to talk a lot!! :lol: )

To answer the question you'll be needing the Art cans, high level link pipes and not forgetting the gaskets

Welcome aboard mate, I give you 3 months before you notice the limitations of the forks and start to tinker :wink: From there its a downhill slope!!

Ben
BigD

Post by BigD »

Thanks Stormin Ben. StormSmasher was gonna be my next post...honest!!!

Also, does having aftermarket cans affect insurance? Currently on zero ncb as first bike in 4 yrs, so don't want to do anything that will up the premium.
cashy

Post by cashy »

Welcome on board!

You must get some Hi level cans they always look and sound great, I have some oval carbon microns complete with small LED indicators.
If you look through some of the other posts you will see one of the guys can get discount on ART cans I think it was about 25% but I may be wrong if you PM me your email address I can send you a photo of mine bike, Like you i just ride it got a mate who does all the techy stuff to it, same with computers I cant attach photos to the post either!

Cashy.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

welcome aboard mate :wink:
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Hey BigD, if you go this route then you gotta have a nice colour co-ord hugger ! :D
Wavey ? :D
Undertray/locker ? :D
Braided hose ? :D
Painted/Polished wheels :D
Do it ! you know ya want to ! :D
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Oh Yes ¬! HIYA !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
BigD

Post by BigD »

Yellafella you are of course right. I have now started to eye up a lower fairing!! Seen a couple in the gallery and wondered what the makes are.

http://www.abercon.co.uk/~neilr/pix_vtr/daniel.jpg

Anyone know what make the lower faring is in the link and the end cans? Perhaps the bikes owner?? Hope you don't mind me eyeing up your storm!!

Ps
Whats the difference between a lower fairing and a bellypan?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hay Big D
:lol: Welcome on board :lol:

I don't know... What is the difference between a belly pan and lower fairing?

What?? Oh! It wasn't a joke. :oops: Okay I suppose if you wanted to be technical about it, a belly pan doesn't come up and join onto the upper fairing whilst a lower fairing does

Pete.l
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Pete.L wrote: I suppose if you wanted to be technical about it, a belly pan doesn't come up and join onto the upper fairing whilst a lower fairing does

Pete.l
Except the Moriwaki ones!!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/~neilr/viewimg ... &x=43&y=33

Ben :lol:
BigD

Post by BigD »

Cheers guys,

I can see I'm gonna have to watch you lot with your sarcasm!!!!

Whats' the situation with non-standard cans and insurance (I don't know ...... what is the .........see you've got me doin it now!!!!)

Anyone owning up to the red storm in my previous link?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ben Said
Except the Moriwaki ones!!
No Mate. Thats a Belly Pan on steriods :wink:

Pete.l
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

And there's me thinking it was a puny weakling fairing lower.
I guess its all about perspective

"Far away cow - small cow - no, sorry, I just cant get it Ted"

Ben
RQ

Post by RQ »

The logic that will soon conquor the world........... 8)
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Pipstorm

Post by Pipstorm »

Hii Mate

Bennetts were fine, no changes to the insurance policy, but be honest no point in having a spill only to find that they won't pay out. I got my 'storm after quite a break, no NCB and Bennets came up with £220 fully comp, mind you I'm an old bugger.

High levels make such a difference you need to fit 'em but have a chat with the local plod, I spoke to mine and they aren't bothered (that said we only have 2 bike cops covering the whole of the county) about the noise but you don't want to fit 'em and then get into probs with plod. :(

Nice to have "in the club" so to speak
:lol:
Phil
Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.