Wht Why no recall

General Bike chat
shatters62

Wht Why no recall

Post by shatters62 »

Hi all

Not been in the forum very long, and dont know if this topic has been covered before, but why has Honda not up graded the auto cam adjusters or initiated a model recall!!! If it was a BMW they would have them back im sure...It has not put me off, but its the first thing we newbies come across...I think Honda should have nipped this in the bud when the bike was introduced all those years ago...just a thought :wtf:

steve
scott02464

Re: Wht Why no recall

Post by scott02464 »

Might be because we're doing the job for them by modifying our own? So they prob think why spend money on a problem when someone else will...

Just my thought anyway
shatters62

Post by shatters62 »

Thanks for the reply scott

They would never get away with it nowadays..But a small price to pay for such an iconic bike..nice to know plenty of help available on the forum.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I totally agree with what you are saying, but think about how much money they are making on parts when valves go crashing. :lol: not much good for Honda's reputation though.

I am such a cynic. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Good point mate ;-)
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I would say its because there are only two models that have the problem, VTR1000 and CBR1100XX, all the rest dont slip teeth when they fail.

once the bike is out of the warranty period then they dont care it's not their problem. If it failed under warranty then they would replace them, and that is a lot cheaper than recalling them and redesign. It's all about the accounting side of it.

Same principle as wit Fords in the US in the 60's when an account document was leaked stating it was cheaper to pay off the families of people that died or got burnt in car fires than to recall all the cars and sort the problem out.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Honda are old hands at this type of thing. In the 80's there was a problem with camshaft oil pressure in one of their cars, I think it was the Accord, not sure. Rather than recall them all they just replaced hugely prematurely worn camshafts under warranty and said nothing to the customer. When the warranty ran out people went to their little local mechanic, and the horrors started to appear.

Got this story from a technical bod at Honda UK, who worked there at the time.
Murv

Post by Murv »

I'm not so sure that BMW would've sorted it to be honest, they don't seem too bothered that their brand new cars can be stolen in under 10 minutes using a piece of string, a laptop and a small piece of cheese.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Murv wrote:I'm not so sure that BMW would've sorted it to be honest, they don't seem too bothered that their brand new cars can be stolen in under 10 minutes using a piece of string, a laptop and a small piece of cheese.
Oooo what type of cheese??
Murv

Post by Murv »

I believe it's a Brie, but could be wrong.

More details here ;)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... mid=341951
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

That's bad mate! You would not expect that from that type of motor. Mined you though, there's always a way of doing anything as long as the prize is big enough.....
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's a similar thing with Honda HISS ignition. Pro's can crack that in seconds. But then nothing will stop the pro's. As we all know these thing's are just deterrents.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside